We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What do you love about Kenya?

Kalix, Sweden
Level Contributor
683 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
What do you love about Kenya?

Just thought that this topic could be interesting for new visitors or all the others of us repeaters, who cannot wait to go back there soon again!

Here are our personal thoughts about what we love about Kenya:

Kenya is the land of endless African skies, stunning wildlife in the national parks, snow-covered peaks and Masai Mara`s amazing dry savannah plains teeming with wildebeests and lions. The dusty Ethiopian Highway leading to Samburu`s beautiful bushveld with its elusive leopards and other rare species and the fantastic panorama of mountains, rivers and acacia trees and little red desert roses, flowering after the rain in spring. The wild vastness of Tsavo with its red earth, large elephant herds and baobabs. Sparkling Great Rift Valley lakes with rich birdlife, rhinos and pink flamingos dotting the lakeshore in their thousands. Lonely deserts in the north to tropical lush rainforest in the south and then there is the coastline with its powder-white palm-fringed sandy beaches beside the turquoise Indian Ocean.

Colourful tribes, helpful and friendly people in traditional authentic villages, children standing at the roadside waving happily when you pass, seeing the joy in their eyes. There is everything from the bustling modern city life of Nairobi and Mombasa to the quiet countryside, the highlands around Mount Kenya with tea and fruit plantations covering the evergreen hills. All this is Kenya - land of contrasts - and we are so longing to go there soon again!

Annika&Peter

keniata
Level Contributor
135 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Jambo,

Karibu Kenya.

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

We think you said it all and very eloquently.

What more can we add.

Asante sana.

Manchester
Level Contributor
459 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Affordability, Exotic, Fantastic Wildlife, Natural Habitats, Weather, Landscapes, Variety, Accessibility, Photo Oportunities, Friendly People, Great Beaches, Fantastic Food, Superb Service, Historical Interest and Romance.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
278 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Aside from all that was said above... I think what keeps me returning are the smiles. The endless smiles are like nowhere else in the world.

South West England...
Destination Expert
for Mombasa, Diani Beach, Kenya
Level Contributor
7,172 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Apart from the above....

Time - time to talk with family and friends, time to listen, time to care. Comradship, helping one another out.

All what we in the UK lack. How many of us don't know our neighbours? We're too busy.

Kingston-upon-Hull...
Destination Expert
for Kenya
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Just about everything covered in ther above but I must add the world class fishing and the excellent kite surfing conditions to be found there

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Hi,

all what heave been written abov and for me, the feeling like "to come home". I cannot find the words to describe it, but the moment the door from the plane is opening and i smell this certain air - that`s like coming home.

I have the feeling, that i (can) live more intensive as here in Europe. My impressions and the way how you can enjoy small things...

There you can see, how much we are depending on material things and are loosing (or better most of them we have already lost) the immaterial ones.

Yes, i love Kenya with all its advantages and disadvantages. And only about 4 months to have the pleasure to go back!!!

Bye

Chrissy

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Chrissy-Kenyafan,

We are in absolute agreement with your thoughts.But for us only 2 months to go before heaven.But we wonder do the Kenyan people think they are so priveledged.Or is it that we first worlders want to go back to basics and take our acquired wealth and live a priviledged existence amongst them.After all it is one thing to be pampered by staff at an exclusive safari lodge but would any one of us want to swop places with them.That's one reason why we always treat people as our equals because we are gratefull for them welcoming us to their beautifull country,and perhaps one day we may return the favour.

Augsburg, Germany
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Hi,

yes, i am sure, that there are big differences in many points.

But also here in Germany - there is one "rule" which meant: "Treat people always in the way you want, that they treat you".

For us, people are all the same - everywhere on the whole word. But people are influenced through different life circumstances.

For me it is also a difference, if you are on holiday or have to live there. Will you be accepted by the people leaving there or will you always be a stranger? This really depends on many things and i am sure you cannot put all people in one drawer.

Like you said, we are always feeling a little bit uncomfortable if some are treating us like something better - hope i can describe it in the right way - and if you tell them to stop to speak with you like "mam" or "sir" - we always tell them to stop with it.

Yes, it is their job to make our stay as comfortable as possible - not only the waiters, also the roomboys, cooks, gardeners and many more. But as you wrote - all people are equal and one thing which is very important - should have to respect each other.

There are bad poeple in every country, this does not depend on a certain nationality. And it is always easy to speak if you have a place to live, can eat if you are hungry and drink if you are thirsty and got to the doctor if you are not feeling well and your sorrows are not like that ones how you can manage it, that you have enough money to buy food for the rest of your family - yes, these things are really privileges which should be usually available for everybody. But unfortunately it isn`t like that. But these people, who have to fight to survive - they still know how important are the basics.

Bye

Chrissy

Birmingham.U.K.
Level Contributor
148 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What do you love about Kenya?

Chrissy-Kenyafan,

We agree entirely.That smile that eminates from the faces of most Kenyan people is not the false smile of "If I am good to them I'll get a tip".It is a smile of genuine happiness that you as a tourist have choosen,despite all your other possible choices,to visit THEIR country.As all returning visitors will know,despite which hotel they use,they are treated like family returning from life's "Safari".