We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Africa - June-July 2019

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Africa - June-July 2019

Hi travelers! My wife and I are planning a trip to Africa next summer June/July (flexible dates) for about 4-6 weeks. We want to go to the following countries (in order of bucket list priority highest to lowest):

1. Tanzania - hike Kilimanjaro, Serengeti

2. Egypt - Pyramids

3. Kenya - Safari

4. Zimbabwe - Victoria Falls

5. South Africa - Table Mountain

-We love being active outdoors (hiking, camping, fishing)

-We love learning about culture and eating new food

-We love animals

-We are fairly low maintenance and open to budget traveling with a little luxury in between possibly...Budget is flexible

We'd like to base our travels around these things above...I'm just in the beginning phases of planning and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've been to Ghana, and LOVED the culture there, and Mole National Park was perfect. We we would your advice! Thank you in advance.

Danielle

Mentioned in this post
5 replies to this topic
Cupertino...
Level Contributor
78 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Africa - June-July 2019

It is a nice bucket list. We have been to all these places in the approximately same amount of time (8 weeks) but spread over 3 completely different years. Each of these activities is exhausting and needs to spaced out. Having said that here are my suggestions

(i) It is July - migrtaion will be in Serengeti; so pick Tanzania ( to hike+ Ngorongoro and Serengeti and you can visit the Olduvai gorge and a masai village) . Safari part - you will need atleast Ngorongoro (1day) and then 3 days in Serengeti + plus the Kilimanjaro hike

(ii) We went from Arusha to Capetown ; Capetown has emough sights to see for atleast 3-4 days ( Cape + boulders, Table mountain + Winelands, etc...)

(iv) from Cape town you will lose a day to reach victoria falls and need atleast 2-3 days in and around Victoria falls

(v) Egypt can take anywhere between 5 - 10 days depending on what you want to see ( Cairo + Giza + Aswan+Luxor)

All these places, the travel is tiring, you will lose a whole day during transfer, So plan carefully to give open days for travel transfer between cities and countries

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Olduvai Gorge
Olduvai Gorge
662 Reviews
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania
Arusha
Arusha
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Nairobi, Kenya
Destination Expert
for Nairobi, Kenya
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Africa - June-July 2019

There's a reason why Kenya is referred to as "Magical Kenya".

http://www.magicalkenya.com/

Indeed Kenya is regarded as a prime Safari destination in Africa. Mara has consistently won 'Best Park Awards' in Africa.

https:/…index.html

Karibu - Welcome

Edited: 6:53 am, June 13, 2018
Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Bangor, United...
Level Contributor
492 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Africa - June-July 2019

Zimbabwe could offer you Victoria Falls, but also safari (walking), hiking, camping and fishing. Look at Mana Pools and Gonarezhou.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Africa - June-July 2019

@VidYap, Thank you for the thoughtful reply. Do you recommend any certain places to stay, companies to safari with? What about transportation? Is it possible to do Tanzania/Kenya/Zimbabwe by bus and then would we fly to S. Africa? Of course we would fly to Egypt, so we'll probably leave that for last or first and then fly to another continent.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Kenya
Kenya
Africa
Cupertino...
Level Contributor
78 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Africa - June-July 2019

In Tanzania we booked through a local tour operator based out of Tanzania - we did a 8 day safari (Serengeti 3 + Ngorongoro 1 + Tarangire and Lake Manyara (1 day each); At Arisha we stayed at the African tulip (nice decor and good rooms);

You should take a whole safari package so Arusha to Arushsa is covered;

Kenya - actually we are doing it in Aug - again 9 days (5 days masai mara, 2 days Nakuru and 2 days Lakipia - we are using African travel waves safaris - I can let you know once we get back; so far their service has been awesome

You can bus transfers between Arusha and Nairobi but I have not used them so cannot comment;

Victoria Falls: 2 airports serve this area ; Victorial falls in Zimbabwe ( thru Cape town, Johannesburg or HArare from Nairbi) or Livingstone ( direct flight from Nairobi) - we stayed at Illala lodge on the Zimbabwe side and could walk to the falls

Not aware of the bus ride from Kenya/Tanzania to Zimbabwe -- hope this helps

Mentioned in this post
Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Ngorongoro Conservation...
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Tarangire National Park
Tarangire National Park
Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lake Manyara
Lake Manyara
202 Reviews
Lake Manyara National Park, Tanzania