We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tutankhamen

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tutankhamen

Can anybody confirm whether the tomb is open and how much is entrance? I saw you now see replicas...worth it?

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tutankhamen

The link to information - with photographs - about the replica is in my initial post here:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/…57975456

To date, no T.A. poster has offered a first-hand opinion of the replica.

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Tutankhamen

I went into the replica last weekend. It costs 50le (ticket from ticket office at Memnon), this also gives access to Carter's House.

The replica is not bad, although is only shows the chamber area with the sarcophagus and the wall painting around it. It is mainly pictures and photos of Carter and the excavation of the tomb itself. Personally I thought for 50le is was OK, but preferred the original (which is still open and will be for a couple of months, according to the KV Manager's office). Just a note of caution, that although there is NO "no photos" sign at the replica, the guardian said no photos could be taken, although for a tip, he would allow this, so make of that what you will. Again he will allow you to walk behind the sarcophagus at the replica and take photos, so again make of that what you will.

Would I go there again, no, as I can say I have been in both and much prefer the original

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,843 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tutankhamen

"Just a note of caution, that although there is NO "no photos" sign at the replica, the guardian said no photos could be taken, although for a tip, he would allow this, so make of that what you will."

As one of the illustrations in my original link shows a couple being photographed ... I am trying to suppress the suspicion that the guardian is on the make ...

Why not buy a few postcards or, better still, an informative booklet about the tomb?

Luton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Tutankhamen

I also visited the replica tomb recently and would concur with everything Spartacus says on it.

As a regular visitor of the original tomb, I would say that the replica was an excellent copy, even down to the mould stains and cracks and chips that the original has and the replica tomb was actually sunk into the ground, which I did not expect.

It is only the burial chamber that is decorated as this is also the case in the genuine tomb.

I think the 'look' would be further improved if a replica of the gold leafed coffin was also displayed in the replica of the sarcophagus (as in the original) as it has the same glass plate on top, but nothing inside it.

I think the replica will serve a purpose in that it will show those who have never seen the genuine tomb what Tuts tomb looks like, when the genuine tomb does close for good, but like the previous poster, having now been in the replica (mainly to see just how good a copy it was, or not) I don't think I will visit it again, but would visit the genuine tomb every time I was in Luxor, as I guess you can't beat the real thing in my opinion.

As regards when the real tomb IS actually closing, the info given in the post above is now the THIRD version I have heard so far (all from VoK 'officials') so I guess as with most things in Egypt, they are making it up as they go and nobody really knows what will happen and when.

P.S. A word of advice - if in the replica tomb and you are suitably impressed and 'in the moment', be sure not to spoil it all by tapping on the walls as your illusion will then be instantly destroyed, as they are (hollow) plastic !

Edited: 8:59 am, May 11, 2014
Luton
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Tutankhamen

And to answer DeniseBelinda's other question, the entrance fee for Tutankhamun's 'real' tomb in the Valley of the Kings, is still 100LE and is now sold at the VoK Reception Center ticket office, as opposed to by the VoK entrance, as it was in the past.

It should be noted however, that they do not allow you to buy a ticket for Tuts tomb only and that everyone entering the VoKs MUST buy a standard '3 tomb' ticket as well, the price of which has now also been increased to 100LE.

As Spartacus says in post no.2, the replica tomb tickets are 50LE and also allow access to Howard Carters house and can only be purchased (at the moment) at the ticket office by Medinet Habu (just past the Colossi of Memnon) where you will be likely given a Valley of the Queens ticket (I was) as the replica tomb tickets have obviously not yet been printed, as the replica tomb has only been open for about a week.

Edited: 11:09 am, May 11, 2014
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tutankhamen

I visited Carters house on the 2nd May 2014 whilst there we visited the new replica tomb of Tutankhamun which is only a couple of yards from the house . I was somewhat disappointed ! My first impression was Wow when faced with the burial chamber it looked exactly as the real one had when we had visited it not more than half an hour before but on closer study i began to notice things were amiss . There was no wooden sarcophagus just the empty stone one and no case in the antichamber containing the body of Tutankhamun. with all the money spent you would have thought of supplying a replica wooden Sarcophagus. Then when you turned around the illusion disappeared the anti chamber and annex were nearly dimensionally correct apart from an enlargement to the entrance of the annex in the annex is a television showing the scanning process to make the replica and various photographs and a reconstructed part of the tomb painting which was destroyed when entering the tomb. Also missing was the descending staircase into the tomb the walls looked chiseled but looked new . If people are expected to visit this replica then the whole tomb has to be replicated exactly as the original . And the NO PHOTOGRAPHS rule is stupid i can understand the reason in the real tomb because of the paint work but a photocopied replica does not have these issues !!!!! more care is needed to make sure the WHOLE tomb is exactly replicated or the illusion will be lost and worthless .In my opinion you will feel cheated if you visited this replica.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tutankhamen

The thorny question of photographs' again...lol.

I really find it annoying when theres a sign saying no photos and the guardian follows me around saying that, for a small tip, I can take some.

8. Re: Tutankhamen

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 02, 2015