We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise and stay trip

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise and stay trip

Hello,

Could any one please advise me on a trip on a nile cruise and stay I'm trying to plan.

I would like to do a weeks cruise on the nile then 1 week in the Hilton luxor but I would like to book the flights and cruise together,with a company and book the hotel separately.so this means booking the flights for 2 weeks leaving the boat then getting a transfer to the hotel from the boat,would this be possible or would I have to arrange the flights cruise and hotel and transfers all separately.

Thanks for you reply s in advance

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

It should be possible to arrange it through a travel agent. Obviously it removes the hassle for you but you will pay for the service.

You can book everything separately on your own to. Not sure what order you will be doing your stay but. You can arrange through your hotel to provide the transfer from the airport to it. You can also just hire a cab when you get there.

The cruise will do this for you at the beginning and at the end of your cruise. If you are sailing from Luxor to Aswan then at the end I am assuming you are going to the airport? They can arrange for a transfer there to.

Transfers are easy to get and arrange yourself and the cruise and hotel will gladly help you do this .

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

Yeah ,I would be doing the cruise first with the excursions,So will the boat return back from where it started,.where ever that will be, then I would be wanting to get the transfer to the hotel. If I was arranging it independently the only issue I think I would have would be where which and how I would arranged the cruise boat without being scammed so to speak.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

The cruise will go one way. Either Luxor to Aswan or Aswan to Luxor. If you do the cruise first from Luxor you will have to transfer back from Aswan to Luxor. You can do this by car or train.

If you went by car you could stop and see the temple at Esna. The larger cruise ships don't include this in what they do. Your cruise may do this for you. I would ask. If they don't you could see if Aswan Individual travel company could arrange something for you.

The other option is to start the cruise in Aswan and cruise to Luxor. You will have to check start dates of the cruise and coordinate with fights. You would have to fly to Cairo and then onto Aswan.

I would find the cruise you want and arrange the hotel stay around it. Everything will come together. As for being scammed. Arranging the transfer through the hotel, cruise or travel agent will cost you slightly more but it also will reduce stress and will give you someone there to contact and work on your behalf if there are problems.

Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
918 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

I thought the majority of cruises start and end in Luxor? Nearly all the one's available as UK tour operator itineraries do anyway.

West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

All the ones I have gone on are in one direction. Usually the 7 day cruise is a couple of days in Luxor then 3 days sailing to Aswan and a day in Aswan. First and last days are kinda part days with loading people on and off the cruise ship.

They do it in reverse order the opposite way. There are only 2 temples where most of the cruise ships stop. Edfu and Kom Ombo. There too big to dock at any of the smaller sites.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

All the one week Nile cruises I have been on started and ended in Luxor. The route was Luxor - Aswan - Luxor - Qena (for Dendara) - Luxor, with stops for Edfu and Kom Ombo on the way.

I think the suggestion that you contact a travel agent is sound, as most of the UK tour companies are geared to packages. It is possible to put together an individual package via Kuoni, and maybe Thomas Cook.

Edited: 4:59 pm, March 28, 2014
Rickmansworth...
Level Contributor
918 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

My experience of Nile cruises is the same as divadarling's. I'm pretty certain Discover Egypt would accommodate your needs too. They bent over backwards to put together our 3 week holiday later this year, and the only package part of it is the 1 week cruise.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,430 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

Thank you Markjango, I was racking my brain for Discover Egypt, just could not get there!

Thomas Cook have a "Flexible Trips" option that may well be useful, and a search using the term "bespoke Egypt holiday" brings up a number of companies, although I suspect many will be on the higher end of the price range.

Edited: 5:18 pm, March 28, 2014
West Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
2,342 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

I had a search as well. Sonesta offers 7 day round trip cruises but also offers 3 or 4 day cruises in one direction as well. It seems that all of there ships have similar schedules.

I did not realize they were so popular. I checked out several of the sites that cater to the UK and found the same.

The OP should have no problem to do what he wishes provided he can find cruise dates and price that work for him.

Bury, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
27 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nile cruise and stay trip

As I said Flights and hotel I can arrange ,but I see in Sept and Oct when im thinking of going from Manchester they are only run by Egyptian air and have a stop at Cairo. And with regards to arranging the cruise I did int make myself clear and I ment arranging the cruise When I get to Luxor.It appears then that if I did that the boat would come back to luxor where I could get my transfer to the Hotel.It appears you cant just arrange a cruise only with travel agents .

Thanks for your suggestions