We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Trip Report

Just returned from a 16 day trip to Luxor. Very few tourists and we had the temples and Tombs mostly to ourselves Inc Valley of the Kings. Very little hassle but not many restaurants open, though in the case of the west bank restaurants if you let them know you are coming earlier in the day they will open specially for you. Got around by public ferry, arabasas (local service buses), local taxi and bikes. Everyone was really friendly and glad to see us. Did a couple of trips outside luxor including Abydos.

Really sad to see so few tourists and only saw one nile cruise ship.moving in our 16 night stay. Very few guests in the two hotels we stayed in.

Did ACE and AWOL with much needed supplies for them. We noticed quite a few armoured personnel carriers around including one outside the hotel we were staying in.

Did not particularly enjoy having to fly to hurgarda and then do the 4 hour transfer, roll on direct flights to luxor.

Edited: 6:08 am, November 10, 2013
Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,573 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Thks for the update.

If we hurry up, we might just get booked on the first Thomson's flight - currently starting in March.

Egyptair may resume direct flights earlier, but we'll have to wait & see.

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

I hope you manage to get on that flight ElaTed. Incindentally wbere do they go from ?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

THOMSON flights available from London Gatwick from 5th MARCH 2014

EGYPTAIR Daily via Cairo only at this time.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Thanks for the update, glad you got to go I'm jealous........lol

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
261 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Glad you had a good trip, particularly interested in your trips to ACE and AWOL. Wondered what supplies you took out, both the same things for both charities? Were both the charities busier than ever, what with no tourists? Hear the animals are having to work harder , not the caleche of course!

I am sure the locals were very pleased to see you, roll on direct flights , and not only from Gatwick!

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Annabel054, we wrote to lots of veterinary supply type companies in the uk practically begging for help. We ended up with a sizeable amount of vet wrap, creams, sprays, leads and collars which three of us

transported over and we divided it equally between the charities.

They are both really struggling

as with no tourists there are no

donations and at ACE they had a

couple of days vet wrap left only. So our donation was a godsend.

Despite the down turn they are continuing to do a fine job and there are some really sad cases including the donkey that was injured in an accident and the owner had its wounds sewn up by his mate who was a mattress maker. It obviously went septic and ace had to sort the mess out and its doing fine now.

We also visited Luxor Samaritans for the handicapped just behind the big church and handed over a bitbof money we had raised by selling the bags they mske.

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

Annabel054, we wrote to lots of veterinary supply type companies in the uk practically begging for help. We ended up with a sizeable amount of vet wrap, creams, sprays, leads and collars which three of us

transported over and we divided it equally between the charities.

They are both really struggling

as with no tourists there are no

donations and at ACE they had a

couple of days vet wrap left only. So our donation was a godsend.

Despite the down turn they are continuing to do a fine job and there are some really sad cases including the donkey that was injured in an accident and the owner had its wounds sewn up by his mate who was a mattress maker. It obviously went septic and ace had to sort the mess out and its doing fine now.

We also visited Luxor Samaritans for the handicapped just behind the big church and handed over a bitbof money we had raised by selling the bags they mske.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Setihay, would you mind sending me a PM about the type of supplies they are desperate for ?

Last time I took sudocrem and. bandages, do they still need that or would it be best to give cash? I'm not going yet but want to contribute when I finally get there.

Bless you, I think you are inspirational :)

Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report

As someone responsible for fundraising and spending at a charity, I can say that unless you are talking about something necessary that is just impossible to get here, the best and most valuable contribution is cash. We understand that it's sometimes more satisfying for people to give other kinds of donations, but we know what we need, how much of it, what kind, etc. Or maybe they just need to pay the electric bill next month. It's not glamorous, but necessary. Thanks to everyone who considers this kind of thing as part of their travel experience.

Cairo
Level Contributor
393 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report

Welcome Back Home