We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Hi - I found a very good deal on a French website for Winter Palace so booked it & have the confirmation. I leave this Saturday. However, on contacting them to say can I please have a room with balcony - they said that i've reserved at the Pavillon (and not the Winter Palace). My travel agent is adamant that I booked the Winter Palace - but the hotel won't move. My voucher says Winter Palace - what would you do? thank you

NE UK
Level Contributor
609 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Hi. The Pavilion is part of the Winter Palace. A separate building in the gardens. I stayed there some time ago and it was lovely as the gardens are really beautiful. My room had a large balcony and was very comfortable. I just wish I was going again! Don't worry, you have made a good choice in a central location. Enjoy!

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Pavilion - all rooms overlook the gardens and have superb balconies. Not all the rooms in the Old Winter palace have balconies and the ones that have, the balconies are small.

Have a look at my photos of the hotel here

flickr.com/photos/…

They were taken in 2011 (not uploaded the ones I took this year yet!), but nothing much has changed. The photos contain pictures of the room, balcony, pool and grounds of the hotel, which I hope might be helpful to you.

Even if you are allocated a room in the Pavilion, you are still allowed to use the Old Winter Palace bars and restaurants and the lounge areas. I don't think you'll be disappointed. The only thing the hotel can't seem to do very well is breakfast, but it is adequate and was a bit better this year compared to previous years.

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
626 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

If you have a voucher naming the accommodation you've booked you can of course stick to your guns.

It's highly unlikely the Winter Palace will have any shortage of rooms; question is whether you overlook the Corniche and the Nile (lots to see but noisy) or the garden (beautiful and quieter).

However if you end up in the 'Pavillon' you won't be disappointed.

It doesn't help with the confusion when half the 'Winter Palace' reviews on TripAdvisor are actually reviews of the Pavillon. But the confusion is understandable.

The Pavillon block itself is a bit dull and functional but the rooms are nice and you can use all the public areas of the original Winter Palace; you just won't be sleeping there.

You may also be required to take your breakfast in a separate room, but the food served is exactly the same in both, it's just nicer crockery and table cloths in the old bit. When we were there in April some breakfasts were in the old building and some in the ground floor of the annex.

Look up my review from April for more details. Staff at all levels were really friendly and helpful. If you make any special requests in a similar spirit, smile and show your gratitude, with the hotel about 20% full I'm sure anything could be arranged.

Edited: 9:01 am, June 12, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Hello again

Your post prompted me to upload more photos - here is the link

flickr.com/photos/…

Feel free to look at the others as well - this link takes you to all the albums

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marlscat/sets/

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Thank you to all ! in fact I've stayed once already in the winter palace - upgraded from the Pavillon. I guess its just a "principle" thing now - thank you.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,227 posts
170 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Some of the Palace rooms are not as good as the Pavilion, in fact when we were 'upgraded' two years ago,we were given a rather dark, oddly shaped room which did not have a balcony and with windows that did not open. There was a side Nile view, but only if you twisted a bit.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

Hi Sunny, regardless of how nice or not the Pavilion is, I think some of the posters are missing the point.

Your question was how do you go about getting what you paid for.

Certainly if you have paperwork then fight your corner and insist on getting what you have pad for.

The travel industry should be thankful of any business its getting right now and should not be in a position to fob people off.

Good luck

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,055 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

I haven't missed the point at all Julian - I know full well what the OP is saying, but I just wanted to point out that he/she might actually in fact be better off with a Pavilion room, as Divadarling is also pointing out.

By all means Sunny, try and get what you think you've paid for, which is your right to do, but don't be too disheartened if you are allocated a Pavilion room at the end of the day..

There are so many names for this hotel, that it can and does get a little confusing.

We are all here to try and help the OP, not get into nit-picking with other posters that are trying to help.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
538 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

I was not nit picking, I was giving my view and I will thank you to allow me to have it.

In any case I did not mention you at all.

Germany
Level Contributor
157 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Winter Palace / Pavillon - what would you do?

1) In Germany we would call this a "cat fight" (Zickenkrieg)

2) I would prefer any room with a balcony at WP Pavillon to a third-class room at the Old Winter Palace - and this is would you would get.

Your decision!