We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

I see some trains labeled as "Speed AC Spanish" while some as "Spec Service AC", which are the ones tourists are allowed to board for the Luxor-Asiyut journey?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
659 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

i think the honest answer is nobody knows.. There were some official rules about night trains only but I have had loads of people who have got any old train they like with a little baksheesh.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,717 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

I purchased my ticket from Ramses station a few days ahead (Nov 2011). I caught the #980, it left at 8am from Platform 8 at Ramses, so that is one you are "officially" able to take.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

Trains from Luxor to Cairo 01.00 8.45 9.45 12.00 13.00 19.00 19.45 20.45 and midnight, trains take about 6hrs to Assiut.

R

Troy, New York
Level Contributor
1,378 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

So you probably can book a non sleeper train, from where do you book these,and how many days before(can I book from India)?

And ras2, all the trains you mention have only sitting compartments,right? The sleeper ones are on different trains right, the 83,85,87?

And they dont kick you out of the train, if they find you're a foreigner?

Edited: 5:08 am, March 15, 2013
Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

I have been told anyone can use any train you can pay on the train but you may not find a seat if its fully booked or buy in advance at the station. Some trains stop at more stations than others so the journey is about 4.5hrs+. Don't know about the sleepers but you would need to book and its not cheap.

R

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
8,088 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

In Cairo, daft tourist travel restrictions mean the ticket office will only sell tickets for the deluxe overnight sleeper train, or seated cars on those trains. You won't be sold tickets for the daytime air-con expresses up the Nile to Luxor or Aswan.

There are two easy ways to get around this, and take whichever air-con daytime express you like:

(a) you simply get on and pay on board, the disadvantage being you haven't got a reserved seat and everyone else has, or

(b) you book online at https://enr.gov.eg/ticketing/public/login.jsf - remarkably, it happily lets you do this!

However, at the Luxor and Aswan end, it's reported that the ticket offices WILL sell you tickets for almost any train, certainly to intermediate stations and possibly also to Cairo.

But the fall-back is that you simply ignore them and get on any train you like, and pay on board!

Edited: 1:07 pm, March 15, 2013
7. Re: Luxor Assiyut train schedule,which trains tourists board?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 17, 2014