We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Matters - what do I take?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Liverpool
6 posts
Save Topic
Money Matters - what do I take?

I am travelling to Luxor in 3 weeks but don't fancy taking all cash with me!

I've heard conflicting stories - don't take travellers cheques as they are difficult to change over; the American Express Travel Card is not accepted in most of Egypt; the Travelex Card has all kinds of problems etc etc.

Has anyone had any experience with the pre paid travel cards in Egypt recently? What is the best way to take your money to Egypt?

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pangkor
Level Contributor
2,855 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Matters - what do I take?

hiya sammo i always take cash and my nationwide flexaccount card with me, as i hate travelers cheques as there a rip off and i change all my cash in egypt not the uk as you get a better rate from egypt than the uk maggieomx

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Matters - what do I take?

Maggie's right, you get a much better exchange rate here. Bring Sterling. If you're worried about carrying cash around most of the big hotels have safety deposit facilities, I believe.

You can reach me at ham.jann@yahoo,co.uk if you would like to know a little more about Luxor. I'm from the UK not far from Liverpool really.

wales
Level Contributor
13 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Matters - what do I take?

Hi Sammo06

Take lots of £1 coins everyone seems to want them for tips,and take some english and your credit card.

merseyside
Level Contributor
119 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Matters - what do I take?

Just take sterling andkeep it in the safe deposit box which the hotel provides.Do not take £1 coins as tips the banks do not accept them. When you change your money ask for small notes 1s 5s 10s and 20s the 1 egyptian notes are used for tipping.

5. Re: Money Matters - what do I take?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, August 12, 2009