We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
for Island of Gozo, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
136 reviews
Save Topic
Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Off here shortly for a week.

Trying (as we all do) to get the best room possible...........

Any ideas folks, of best room numbers to pursue.

Mark

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

The best room depends on what your preference is. I like the top floor suite in The Pavillon, as it has two balconies, great views and spacious, pleasant accommodation. Friends of ours prefer the room nearby, as it has one long, large balcony with a sunbed. I can't remember the room numbers but I am sure others on here will know them.

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Very kind AswanFans but I'm at the lower end of budget - :0)

Best 'classic' room please?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,501 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Being an Avios Points member helps!

Top floor is best for views.

There are suites overlooking the pool area with room numbers in the high teens and low twenties

The rooms like 5001 overlook the Nile, but I've never been in them so can't comment and am not sure re the new building hoarding as to what you can still see. (If it's still there?)

Must confess, I've never bothered too much about the view there.

see the WP folder here flickr.com/photos/…

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Mark, if the hotel is quiet and you contact guest relations, you might be pleasantly surprised what can be achieved on budget or a little above :)

ELaRef, 5000 room numbers ring a bell! Our friends prefer room 5021 - pool view plus town with a huge balcony. It was the same rate as the other standard rooms. The room I referred to has two balconies. Before the demolition of the New Winter Palace there wasn't a Nile view from the Pavillon suite.

I collect avios too, ELaRef - Sofitel Card sign up is easy too - every little bit of leverage counts and repeat business is a good way to access upgrades.

Edited: 12:41 pm, February 06, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Mark,

I booked a 'standard' room in the WPP and was upgraded free of charge to the top floor corner suite with 2 balconies (that Aswanfans mentions) with one balcony overlooking the pool and gardens and the other overlooking the Nile.

Included in the 'upgrade' was daily complimentary mineral water, fruit and cakes for the room.

The reason for the upgrade was that I told the customer relations manager that I was on my honeymoon - but nobody asked for any kind of proof, or evidence that I was.

Give it a try, you may just get lucky.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

All the Pavilion rooms overlook the gardens/pool area - if lucky you will get a peek at the Nile with the likes of room 5001 (although I've not stayed in it). All of the rooms have roomy balconies which are pleasant to sit out on of an evening. Ask for a high floor and they'll give you rooms on 4 or 5 (if not busy they sometimes shut a floor down).

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

I have a few photos here of a typical room and balcony (I used to have many more on another website but had to change and haven't managed to get everything uploaded to this one!)

flickr.com/photos/…

Island of Malta...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,442 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Dear Marlscat, you are so kind.

I'm looking forward!

Mark

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
2,249 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

This was the view from a 'standard room' on the top floor

tripadvisor.co.uk/…20788087

I did use the 'zoom' though!

I secretly miss the old WP tower block for the amazing street and Nile views.

Edited: 4:34 am, February 09, 2013
Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Pavilion Winter Palace - best rooms?

Hello again Mark

I forgot to mention about the plug sockets in the refurbished rooms. Prior to refurbishment, you could use the usual European two-pin adaptors, but that now is not the case. However, you can get adaptors from the reception or buy them at Arkwright's Supermarket.

I explained about this on my holiday blog at that time - here is a link to the specific page, but feel free to have a browse as there are other photos of Luxor and the Winter Palace Hotel grounds.

…blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/monday-26th-septembe…