We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

clothing

Lancashire
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
clothing

Hi I know women should cover arms and ankles when out and about in Luxor but what about an 11 year developing girl. I don't want her to get any unwanted attention,

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,047 posts
237 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: clothing

Cover her up even more . A baggy straightjacket would be fine.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: clothing

IsisLancashire - "Hi I know women should cover arms and ankles when out and about in Luxor "

In decades of visiting Egypt and Luxor, I have never found it necessary to cover ankles or arms. Luxor is a city that is very used to tourists and different dress. You are not required to cover your head, your ankles or arms - nether would an eleven year old girl be. Attitude and body language is far more important than dress. Longer shorts and capri pants are absolutely fine. At the most, when out shopping, covering upper arms is fine. Don't allow anyone to invade your personal space or make you feel remotely uncomfortable. That will protect you far better than dress codes that clearly do not apply in main Egyptian resorts - yet. TripAdvisor has a section on dress which may be useful.

Edited: 4:52 pm, February 05, 2013
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: clothing

'Cover your arms and ankles' ?

Totally unnecessary and not expected from either you or your daughter at all.

Luxor is not Saudi Arabia and your 11 year old daughter would not thank you for going to those extremes either.

Edited: 5:37 pm, February 05, 2013
UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: clothing

General rule of thumb when not in the major tourist areas (hotels etc) is to cover knees, shoulders and cleavage. That should work for most age groups and it is better to cover kids up anyway because of the fierce sun. Go for loose cotton if you can, long shorts, capris, cotton tshirts, cotton skirts etc etc.

Edinburgh, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: clothing

Hi there

Go to our top questions which are written in blue down the right hand side of this forum page. Click on the topic "Clothing - Tips on appropriate clothing for visiting Luxor & The Nile Valley". You will find a box comes up with some further links to articles that may help you.

California, Maryland
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: clothing

I know women should cover arms and ankles when out in Egypt.

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: clothing

You have been misinformed then, Angel. I suggest you look again at your source. Egypt is not Saudi Arabia.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: clothing

However - How sunburnt does she want to get?

Lots - Go with the 'don't worry about it' advice above

Not too much - COVER UP - It depends when you are going but Luxor can easily get to 45° in mid-summer.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
227 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: clothing

Thank you all for your comments I think we will just not wear low tops and wear loose shirt and cropped trousers when visiting the sights.

Thank you again

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,285 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: clothing

Natural fibres e.g. Cotton/Linen are also best for absorbing moisture