We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer To Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northampton
6 posts
Save Topic
First Timer To Luxor

Going to Luxor at the end of June for a week and are hoping to do quite a bit.

1:- wish to visit cairo is the sleeper train a good way to travel and can these be booked on the day?

2:- Visit dendara, on what days does the cruise go to dendara.

3:- How much is a sunset felucca cruise with a meal!!

4:- Horse Riding, read about a sunset ride on the west bank how much and where from?

5:- Whats the night life like i.e. are there any late bars in the town for drinking?

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hi. I'm English but from UK. To answer your questions.......

1. Sleeper train takes about 9 hours but you're not wasting any sightseeing time. Arrives in Cairo about 5-5.30 am. Booked it for some friends recently & cost was 61 English pounds per person, sharing a 2 bed cabin. Think there may be a single supplement though if travelling alone.

2. Not sure days of Dendera cruise but it's a full day 7am till 7pm with lunch & afternoon snack on board.

3. Sunset Felucca with a meal - last time I did it cost was 15 English total.

4. Will try to find info re horse rides at sunset. Had no experience of this , bit frightened of them actually.

5. Some hotels have 'discos' which are open late, don't know about the bars, sorry. There are 3 English style 'pubs' , The Royal Oak, The King's Head & Murphy's bar.

If you need any more info on Luxor contact me at ham.jann@ yahoo.co.uk

Will help if I can.

Northampton
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hi iberis the cost £61 is that return or the price for 2 people? one way

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hi, that was cost return per person. Will check it again as it may have changed. Low season here now so possibly it could be a little cheaper. Will post later if I get any more info.

Cairo
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hi,

Have got the following information from a fiend in Luxor:

- Dendara Cruise sails Fridays, Sundays and Tuesdays.

- The sunset felucca costs about USD 35 including hot meal (mixed grill cooked by hotel chefs)

- Horse ride from the West bank (catch a motor boat first to the west bank then get your horse from Memnon Colossi passing by Hatshepsut temple and ending after about an hour and half. ) That costs USD 16 including guide and typical oriental tea .

hope that helps

Cairo
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First Timer To Luxor

hi again,

Sleeper train costs per person USD 53 one way Cairo/Luxor so it is about 30 sterling pound per person.

More information about sleeping trains schedule and times , you can find iin this link www.sleepingtrains.com

hope that helps.

Isis

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hi, asked about the horse ride. You should be able to do it for much less than $16 dollars, maybe half that price. Can point you in right direction if you contact me when you're here. It might not include 'oriental tea'? as Isis mentioned though.

Cairo
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: First Timer To Luxor

Hey again,

Above price include also the motor boat that takes u from East to West bank + Horse ride for min. one hour and half + guide + tea.

it can be cheaper if you just ride for half an hour.

hope that helps.