We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just a few questions, can you help?

west mids
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Just a few questions, can you help?

I am going to luxor in June and have a few queries :

1. I am stopping at the Sonesta St George, and we full board, can I eat in all of there restaurant within the hotel, or only the buffet restaurant?

2. Is there alot of People trying to sell you something, as we went to Cairo last year and they drove us mad!

3. Is Luxor much different to Cairo?

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
884 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

Wasn't going to bother stepping in on this one, but now feel I must. Mena is right about the majority of things (yes Isis even the 7000 years of history!!), What he says about the sellers in Luxor is true and as an arabic speaker I too have heard the muttered asides in Arabic, and even worse - on occasions to my face as I don't look egyptian!! What I want to stress to tourists is that you are NOT being rude if you ignore a seller when he tries to accost you. It is quite polite to walk past without a word - you are here on holiday and are not obliged to talk with every person that leaps out of a shop at you! Enjoy your time, realise that you will be ripped off at some point, know that you are not rude! Yes I admit that some people may be being actually polite, but this percentage is quite low. Any sentence uttered in your hearing is just a busines plan- even the innocent sounding "what country?" They are only interested in what country you are from so they know what business plan to proceed with and which currency to use. I love this country, really I do, but it has to be said that Luxor really is unique in Egypt for its business practices.

west mids
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

Thanks for the advice, I must admit I am a little apprehensive about our holiday.

I would love to go and not be a little afraid of the hassle we might get. We booked because I have always wanted to go to egypt to see the many sites, I just hope this does not spoil it for me and my family.

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
23. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

Hi Lola,

Fore warned is fore armed as they say. Now you know what might happen you are in a better position than many first timers. Please don't let it spoil your holiday. I agree with some aspects of many of the posts but I meet people every week who come back year after year & they love Luxor & many of it's people. Just be aware but enjoy. Happy holiday.

west mids
Level Contributor
23 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

Iberis,

Thanks so much for all your advice, I to hope we have a great holiday, I am sure we will, best wishes.

Lola.

Cairo
Level Contributor
185 posts
Save Reply
25. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

Yes, Lola

Despite this hassle , i am sure you wil have a great time.

26. Re: Just a few questions, can you help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 12, 2009