We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is Edfu still "off limits" ?

wallasey,merseyside
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Hi all, going back on the cruise again in August 2013 (4th time)

went with a couple of friends this year 2012, (first time)and his wife was not too happy that Edfu was missed off the trip list, despite being "included" in the itinerary in the brochure, as she was really looking forward to going there. I believe that at some point there was a problem with caleche drivers, but thought that had been sorted out ? Anyhow, the four of us are returning again as stated, and I wondered if anyone has any recent updates regarding this ? thanks in advance....Scorpio9

Exhall, United...
Level Contributor
1,108 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

I was there in April, there was no problems then, unless it is just for cruise ships (but i saw some coaches in the coach/car park, so I guess not).

Essex
Level Contributor
819 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Scorpio 9

You question relates to 8 months time, things can change in hours in Egypt, asking that length in time away is like asking how long is a piece of string!

At the present it would appear that boats are docking at Edfu, we are on a Nile cruise 7-14th Jan so will advise from Egypt or on our return.

Regards

Edited: 10:17 am, December 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

When we went at the end of November Edfu was taken off the itinerary and replaced by Esna. I was told this was because some caleche drivers cornered a coach full of German tourists and tried to set fire to it.

I was also told that the big tour operators aren't using caleche drivers because it is cheaper to use a coach and since tourist numbers are down so much they are watching every penny. This is affecting the caleche drivers livelihood

Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

When we went at the end of November Edfu was taken off the itinerary and replaced by Esna. I was told this was because some caleche drivers cornered a coach full of German tourists and tried to set fire to it.

I was also told that the big tour operators aren't using caleche drivers because it is cheaper to use a coach and since tourist numbers are down so much they are watching every penny.

Essex
Level Contributor
819 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Esna is worth seeing, very well preserved.

Edited: 12:57 pm, December 26, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,260 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

I gather Edfu’s caleche drivers have been protesting off and on for a year or so. They hey were doing it when I was there a year ago November and it seems last November. I’ll be there in just over a month and happily up-date you if you want. As said, however, what’s happening now or a month from now will have little bearing on what is happening (or not happening) in August.

All Egypt’s historical sites are worth seeing but some are in a class apart. Edfu IMO is one of these. If you are spending any time in Luxor before or after your cruise, you can always hire a car (say LE 300 for the car, not per person) for a day at Edfu.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
113 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Having just returned from a Nile cruise, there were no trips organised to Edfu, however we did this by ourselves and all went well. We left the ship at 06.45 to find a caleche. There were hundreds just as we left the ship. We walked along to find one in good condition, (wont get in caleche if the horse is lame, skinny, covered with sores). We offered our driver LE50 for the return journey and asked him to put down his whip and not gallop the horse. This he did and was waiting for us, no problems. The temple was wonderful and in our opinion was as good as Karkak. We were the first ones in the temple at 7 o clock in the morning and had a wonderful hour and a half exploring on our own. When we got back to the ship people were surprised that we had been to a temple, many didnt know there was one there, we found our information on trip advisor. We knew nothing about the problem with the caleches.

wallasey,merseyside
Level Contributor
69 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

thanks all.....I've been 3 times previous to edfu, so was a bit surprised this year that we never went, even the guide on the boat said edfu was off limits....just wondering why it still states in the brochures that its part of the excursion package ? also we never got Esna to compensate for this either, guess I'll just have to wait and see what happens in August...scorpio9

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Personally i would take Edfu over Esna anyday.

I had rather a bad experience in Esna many years ago and there is so little of the actual temple to see there I have never had the urge to go back. Edfu, on the other hand, is spectacular in its completeness and I have enjoyed many a memorable hour there.

UK/Luxor
Level Contributor
413 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: is Edfu still "off limits" ?

Edfu is on the itinerary for some cruise boats, but not all. Some replaced it with Esna earlier this year and have kept it that way. Others are now back to visiting Edfu. Its hard to say which one you will visit from your cruise, and next August is an awful long time away.