We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help Urgent!, please!

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
141 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Please help Urgent!, please!

Hello fellow TA friends,

This is out of the blue but I'm flying out to Luxor staying at the Sofitel kayak hotel for 7 nights all inclusive tomorrow morning at 10 am!, has anyone been here before and stayed here?

We was unfortunate that we could not get transfers from airport to the hotel does anyone know how much it will cost???

Also addition to the above I would like to know about cruises I've seen many forums online but can't drill down to Luxor cruises as I don't have a clue on where to start and look.

Also money..... Where should I exchange money from? Gatwick airport? Please help! So confused and last minute!

Nightlife....... Is there any nightlife in Luxor city town if so how far is this from the hotel I'm staying at? Also can I get a taxi to these nightlife night clubs? As we are traveling with my younger brother who no doubt will want to go a few nights into town for a dance (he's a uni lad)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE any information on the above would be absolutely appreciated to the most high.

Thank u so much for reading my post..

Look forward to hearing from you all

Regards,

Andy.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

StunningStu – Thanks, it is the Regal. I also liked it and agree that it’s a “rather British affair” but, at the end of the day, what Luxor bar/disco isn’t?

There is indeed a downstairs bar in Murphy’s but, every time I’ve been there, it’s just been a bar. Upstairs, there is a larger bar, disco lighting and a dance floor frequented by tourists (when there are any) of all shapes and sizes and various locals hoping to ‘meet’ them. In any case, it’s the same scene on a different floor

AndyG187 – As SS says, taxis (not to mention every enterprising street tout you meet) will point you in the ‘right’ direction but (especially where recommending ‘after hours’ places is concerned) remember they all hope to earn a commission wherever you go. As suggested, your best bet for a western-style disco/bar scene is probably Murphy’s and Genesis with the King’s Head and (maybe) the St Joseph’s ‘dive’ bar as runner-ups. If you just want a nice drink, there is the Regal and The Pub 2000 (across from the Morris Hotel). Your profile suggests a familiarity with South East Asia but, even if Luxor’s nightlife is a duller if not 'lamer' thing, it has its depths and, as the genie said to the actress, be careful what you wish for.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

Hiya Andy.

I'll be brutally honest with you,bein Scottish and all that!

Offer taxi driver 50le to take you from airport to hotel.If he refuses,walk away and find someone else who'll do it for that price,cos that's good money!

What your brother is lookin for in Luxor don't exist!

NO modern discos,no modern thump thump stuff!Believe me,I got kids in their 20's...it ain't for them!

He'll have a good holiday,sunshine,etc...but most women there will be older than him and will be happy boppin away to 60's stuff and wearin catalogue frocks!!!

Not sure why the young Egyptians are so attracted to these types...but just look...and then PM me with your opinions!!!!

Anyway...have a great time both of you...go with the flow...and tell the uni student to enjoy,but not get carried away!

I seriously can't recommend any places suggested,they're all pick up joints!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
63 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

We're on your flight tomorrow. The hotel is very quiet so don't expect dancing! There will be plenty to do in town, but take care with your safety. Money is easily changed at the airport - that's an easy one. You should be able to grab a cab to the hotel. It's about 20 mins from the airport - should cost about a maximum of Ten Egyptian pounds. Choose your cab carefully as there are a few dodgy ones. Oh - and the rest of us are there to relax, so please remember that after a night out clubbing - we are trying to sleep! :-)

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

“Not sure why the young Egyptians are so attracted to these types...”

It may be hard to pin it down exactly but alimony cheques, savings accounts and pension books tend to play a not insignificant role.

Edited: 7:31 pm, December 16, 2012
London, United...
Level Contributor
4,554 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

“There will be plenty to do in town...”

Unless you haven’t been out much lately, there is little to say about the Luxor ‘scene’ than Christine O hasn’t just said.

“You should be able to grab a cab to the hotel. It's about 20 mins from the airport - should cost about a maximum of Ten Egyptian pounds.”

It would be a minor miracle if there wasn’t a taxi available and a “maximum of ten Egyptian pounds” (a fraction under £1) to south/central Luxor or Karnak would be another. As said, the benchmark is LE 50 but, with the loss of business since the revolution, you might bargain for something cheaper. A maximum of LE 10, however, is well within the neighbourhood of local, non-tourist rates and, if you manage to get it, please post the driver’s name and number.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

Yeah BB,I know exactly what you are saying!

But we are advising a bloke here who is bringing a young uni student and is used to a Western life style!

The dames ain't for you here.Leave them to the sad Egyptians and enjoy the history and culture of the country!

I'm nothing if not honest...but enjoy the history,culture,sunshine...just forget the women!!!

They ain't your type...believe me!

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

"I seriously can't recommend any places suggested,they're all pick up joints!!!!"

Sorry not all.

BBecket you forgot the possible visa out of Egypt.

You should expect to pay between 50le plus into Luxor from the airport.

20le plus Karnak to Luxor.

R

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
8,913 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

A look at the reviews for this hotel might be useful if, having paid for AI, you don't want to pay for taxis and external restaurants

A click on Luxor Hotels on this page at top left and a little bit digging gets you to

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g294205-d2996…

Level Contributor
16 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

Hotel quotes 50£E each way to the airport. Change money at Luxor airport. Get your visa at the same time from the bank kiosk on the left as you go in. Stayed at the hotel last week. Was great

20. Re: Please help Urgent!, please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, December 19, 2013