We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

More tea, vicar?

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern England
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
More tea, vicar?

Only 4 more sleeps until our stay at Sonesta. We love the breakfast selection and range of teas on offer but don't always want to go down for tea and so have always bought a kettle for the duration of stay, which is then donated to whoever wants it. Have read on TA Sonesta reviews that they now charge $35 for a weeks rental of said kettles. Seems a bit steep but do you get all the makings included? I assume that there is a ban on taking your own but how rigourously is that enforced?

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
485 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: More tea, vicar?

When I saw the thread title I was hoping for some double entendres!

Northern England
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: More tea, vicar?

I can give you one if you want

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: More tea, vicar?

They are probably renting out the very kettles that YOU and others have left behind Mickey, LoL !

I doubt very much if there is a kettle 'ban' at the Sonesta, or any other hotel and they are probably only enterprising where they have seen there is a demand.

I have only ever encountered a 'kettle ban' on Nile cruise boats in the past, with the 'excuse' given was that they were a fire hazard, but personally I did not believe this for a second and considered it to be just a 'ploy' to ensure that you had to buy every cup of tea you had, as if true, it would have been about the only 'Health & Safety' regulation ever to exist in Egypt.

I still always took a travel kettle on cruises but just put it in my suitcase when not in the cabin.

The Sonesta could not really impose a kettle ban on safety grounds, but then offer to hire you one (probably the SAME one that you may have left behind previously), so I wouldn't worry about it and take as many kettles as you want, as no-one will be doing a 'kettle search' as you enter the hotel !

And I would also be very surprised if it included tea or coffee making stuff and think all you will probably get is the kettle.

Edited: 2:48 pm, November 23, 2012
Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: More tea, vicar?

Mick, its been a few years since I stayed there but the rate did include tea and coffee with your kettle. Just send them an email and ask.

Northern England
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: More tea, vicar?

Thanks KV the cost of a kettle and mashings less than 100le probably from Omar market. All previous kettles went to good homes. Will let you know if the vicar gets a cuppa or not.

Northern England
Level Contributor
84 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: More tea, vicar?

Thanks for that Queen, I'd want English Breakfast, at breakfast, Darjeeling for elevenses, and Orange Pekoe with cake for afternoon on the pontoon. Expect I'll get Liptons.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
25,419 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: More tea, vicar?

Would you believe one of the huge attractions of the boat I go on is the 24hr tea & coffee, in mugs too. If only they knew how easily & cheaply they could attract the British :-)

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: More tea, vicar?

You can buy a kettle very cheaply at the markets, I agree.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: More tea, vicar?

Sue, I agree as one of the reasons I love the Cairo Marriott is because they have tea & coffee / kettle in the room. It may be catching on because the Cairo Novotel also had them last year & even the budget Isis Island in Aswan had kettles and tea in the room, lovely:)

Mick, lol

Level Contributor
300 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: More tea, vicar?

I take mine with me