We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
14 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Hello everyone. Planning a trip to Egypt in February and, from what I've read on message boards, lots of people are getting "upgraded" to poorer quality boats (sometimes much poorer, according to the complaints I have read). Is there anyone who has any insight into this?

We aren't looking for anything fancy, but I would like to end up on a clean boat with friendly staff. Ideally it would include soft drinks and have some food choices for the meals.

I've read the reviews for both Sentido Mahrousa this seems like a good choice for us (though i am open to suggestions!)

Thanks tons!

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Reply
41. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Can anyone describe their experience after having sailed from Luxor on the:

[a] MS Serenade

OR

[b] SENTIDO MS Nile Saray,

as we've been "UPGRADED"

to [b] (Thomas Cook) from [a] (Thomson) for our cruise in Jan, 2013?

Many thanks!

Edited: 7:23 pm, December 16, 2012
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
393 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
42. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Hi Is the Orchid still Sailing we have booked with Thompson for are nile cruise ? Does anyone know when you are told which boat you will be on (before we go or when we arrive to board) ? Thank you.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Just returned today. We had booked our cruise with VJV for the Hamees, but as that boat is not sailing at the moment we were upgraded to he SS Misr. There were only 14 passengers.

The Darakum was still sailing and spoke to someone on it, who told me there were 15 on it this past week. For the next three weeks the SS Misr isn't sailing due to lack of bookings.

There didn't seem to be many boats operating at all, which made for uncrowded visits at the regular stops. Boats all seem to be stopping for visits to be made to Esna Temple rather than Edfu, Seemed to be very few tourists in Luxor. Cairo and the usual places visited by tourists all seemed to be quiet too.

Warrington, United...
1 post
Save Reply
44. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

My mum and I did the Nile cruise at the end of September and wer upgraded from MS Emily to MS Alhambra and it was fantastic. The boat was simply pure luxury. Staff were fab and we negoitiated an all-inclusive deal for the drinks which was well worth it.

england
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

can you book trips with stirling .

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Sterling is widely accepted, but you will always be paying 'over-the-odds' when using it. Much better, and easier IMO, just to change it at the airport.

Best wishes,

Edward.

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

We have just returned from a week cruise on the Jaz Regency with Thompson 5t. All I can say it was excellent, food, accomodation and staff. Its sad to say that the ships have gone from 300 to 30 so there is little choice but its a wonderful experience.

Cannot reccomend it enough..........and there is no trouble in Luxor. The recent decline is partly due to the crisis in Egypt and our sad economic decline at home. Egypts enconomy is tourism and they do it well.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

From the Egyptian Gazette:

Don’t neglect tourism

The Egyptian Gazette

Friday, December 28, 2012 04:48:41 PM

THE chronic economic crisis facing the country shouldn’t distract the Government from taking some major steps to re-float the tourism sector and prevent it from going bankrupt.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few days ago, the press wrote about the crisis facing the hotel sector in Upper Egypt, especially the Nile Cruisers, which has driven the owners of 286 floating hotels to put them up for sale, because they can no longer afford to operate them.

At this time of the year, these hotels used to complain that they were too full, as countless foreign tourists would come year to spend their Christmas and New Year holidays in the warm southern cities of Luxor and Aswan.

However, the chaos since last year’s revolution, the repeated strikes, the cutting of railway lines and Nile Cruisers being prevented to weigh anchor have taken their toll.

What has made matters worse is the sudden increase in the price of diesel used to fuel the boats. Few of the 316 cruisers that used to run between Luxor and Aswan are still in operation.

Despite the crisis, investors still have to pay their taxes, rates and electricity bills. Banks threaten to blacklist those investors who take out loans but then welch on the repayments.

If it really is serious about dealing with the chronic economic crisis, the Government shouldn’t neglect the tourism sector.

The banks should reschedule the debts of struggling investors, even offering them new facilities to enable them to continue operating their hotels, rather than having to sack their workers, while governmental bodies should wait till the crisis is over before making these investors pay their dues.

The only good thing about this crisis is that it has made the Muslim Brotherhood rulers realise just how vital tourism is to the economy, employing millions of people and paying the Government a lot of tax.

In the meantime, the mid-year holiday must be exploited to promote domestic tourism to Upper Egypt. Discounts on air and train tickets will encourage families to take their children to visit Upper Egypt’s wonderful monuments.

warwickshire
Level Contributor
27 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

Hi

were you advised of your change of ship before you travelled? We are travelling on the ms emely in march and I have read that it is not sailing.

Could I ask how much the upgraded drinks package was per person and if it was possible to book the excursion package on board, and cost if you know it?

I have tried to add an excusion pack but the tour company say they cant add anything to the booking maybe its because its not sailing...

many thanks

Sue

england
Level Contributor
35 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Nile cruise: which boats are sailing still?

just got back from a nile cruise, brill brill brill,no trouble all staff very friendly,we went on our own trips by taxi,the four of us are between 55 and 65 please go enjoye dont listen to everything you read are see on tv, i carnt wait to go back.