We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

bristol
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Hi

Planning to go to the Karnak Sound and Light show. The day we want to go is my partners birthday, which means he will get a free ticket.

Can anyone tell me if I can buy my ticket in the day for the at the temple. We are visiting the temple a few days before.

Also as I will be at the main Port in Luxor, can anyone advise the best way to get a taxi without being ripped off.

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Not sure what you mean by the main 'Port in Luxor' ??? Luxor is not a port and is nowhere near the sea.

Best way to get a taxi without being ripped off - get a general idea of what taxi fares SHOULD be and then haggle with the taxi driver until he agrees to that price or lower.

You need to haggle with EVERYONE for just about EVERYTHING in Egypt, otherwise you very likely WILL be ripped off at some point.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
98 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

i book my ticket just befor the show at the temple

about taxi i have no idea about prices but you should ask the taxi driver about the cost to the place you want if you found the price is reasonable take the taxi if you found that he set over price leave it and stop another taxi

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

"The day we want to go is my partners birthday, which means he will get a free ticket."

Please, tell me more? I've never heard of this before, is it possibly some special offer from your tour operator?

"Can anyone tell me if I can buy my ticket in the day for the at the temple."

As our friend from Cairo has suggested, you can get your ticket on arrival for the show, it's normal procedure and what I've done on all of my visits there, so far.

"the main Port in Luxor"

As KV says, there's not a 'port', really! Almost the whole of the 8 or 10 kilometre stretch of river front between Karnak and the Luxor Bridge is taken up with moored cruiseboats. With the lack of visitors, the vast majority of them are lying unused at the moment.

To get to the point, though, 'the main Port' could be anywhere along that stretch. Which means that for a taxi fare, one way, anywhere between 10le and 75le would not be particularly out of the ordinary.

I hope you enjoy the S&L as much as I do, I love it!

Regards,

Edward.

bristol
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Thanks as never been to Luxor I was assuming there is a port of some kind there as will be on a Nile cruise leaving from Luxor .... !! The offer for free ticket is on the website of the people who run the actual show and is also on Memphis Tours website.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Thank you, laneybel! I'll be off to see the Sound and Light come April.

Regards,

Edward.

London, United...
Level Contributor
29 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

The boat I was on was moored just before the Luxor bridge, there is a little complex there with shops bars etc and quite a few boats moored up, it could be yours is there as well.

I have emailed you the taxi company I used and they were excellent.

Edited: 4:06 am, October 16, 2012
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,254 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

laneybel

The ticket booth for the Sound and Light Show does not open until the evening, so you will not be able to buy a ticket during the day.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
98 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

ahmed gazaly taxi driver

car no.2062

tel 002 01004502530

i found this drivere recommended in one or the reviews on hilton luxor

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g294205-d305085…

open the photos then filter by hotel and grounds you can find it easily

you can ask the reviewer about him

bristol
Level Contributor
157 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Thanks all, if buying tickets on the evening. Will I get a ticket easy enough ?

I only want two, VIP seats.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Karnak Temple Sound and Light Show & Taxi's

Hello again,

The S&L Show at Karnak takes you for a walk through the temple, stopping here and there to view certain illuminated aspects while listening to the commentary. The last 20 minutes or so are spent on the terraced seating overlooking the Sacred Lake, if you get there before the others, you'll get the 'VIP' seats, i.e. the front row, lol.

Regards,

Edward.