We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any advice on Cameras

NE UK
Level Contributor
612 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Any advice on Cameras

Hi all - When I return Luxor and Aswan in November, I shall be visiting some sites for the first (and probably only) time so want some good photo's.

I have a little Panasonic digital with 8x zoom, but looking for something with higher zoom, keeping in mind the weight and bulk to carry around. Going by some of the photo's some of you show, there are some very good camera's (and photographers!) out there, but I don't want to spend much more than £250.

So, any advice would be appreciated, and also hints re 'best light', given the sometimes strong sunlight and beige/sand colour which predominates. Thank you

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any advice on Cameras

My main camera is a Fuji HS20EXR (bridge camera) which has an excellent zoom, however it is a bit heavy and bulky, although I do get good results from it.

I have recently purchased a small compact camera though as, like you, there are some situations where I don't really want to carry my main camera about with me, so I purchased an Olympus SZ-30MR 16 megapixel compact camera which also has an excellent zoom for the size of the camera on the recommendation of another TA member. I'm still experimenting with it, but it's pretty good. I think however, the Fuji makes a better job of the sunset photos, but I got quite good results with the Olympus recently at night on holiday in Malta.

This link will take you to some photos I uploaded to Webshots - most of which were taken at night with the Olympus.

good-times.webshots.com/album/582875695lONcUW

This link shows you the camera (I did get mine from Amazon, although not this particular seller)

amazon.co.uk/gp/…oh_details_o02_s00_i00

And this is the case that I bought separately

amazon.co.uk/gp/…oh_details_o01_s00_i00

Now, for technical details etc. on photos, eLaReF is your man!!!

Mentioned in this post
West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any advice on Cameras

I'm a Panasonic Lumix fan. Okay so i was seduced by the advert of Anubis running through a temple looking suspiciously like Medinet Habu but what the heck. Excellent results and a whole range of cameras to choose from which all seem to be quite highly regarded by the techies.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any advice on Cameras

Hello again

Just to give you some small examples, I've upload a few photos to webshots for you to have a look at. I've not experimented much with the camera as yet as I only just purchased it a few weeks before travelling to Malta last month.

Hope that helps a little.

outdoors.webshots.com/album/582905821vRugKI

Mentioned in this post
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Any advice on Cameras

Hi Andrewsisters,

My main camera is an Olympus Pen compact system camera - smaller than a DSLR (with a similar sized sensor) but slightly larger than a small compact. Lenses are interchangeable (so you can swap between wide angled and zoom). If you can get a good deal on one I highly recommend it.

My particular model (the EPL1) has a 'live guide' mode which means I can easy lighten or darken a photo and see the effects in the LCD screen. When in a temple like Abydos where flash photography isn't permitted it makes it quite easy for a 'point and shoot' type photographer like me to take decent photos :-)

There are also other functions on the live guide like blurring the background, changing colour saturation. So instead of having to worry about what's the correct aperture, ISO etc for a particular situation - I just use the live guide and it takes some of the worry away until I can learn a little more about how the settings all work properly!

El Kab was probably the best example of how it handled taking photos inside the tombs and temples (without flash) then outside into brilliant sunshine and desert scenes -

(Wadi Helal) travel.webshots.com/album/581551401zXsAXT… (Tombs) travel.webshots.com/album/581617295zXqIVb

I didn't have any filters on the lenses and none have been photoshopped.

I also have the olympus SZ-30MR camera Marlscat mentioned above, have only had it out and about a few times (personal photos only at the moment and not for uploading to webshots etc) but it performed well and I got some great photos of a picnic by the riverside with friends & their children last weekend, not as good quality as with my pen camera but still really good. Zoom is 24 x but I find it gets a bit shaky when you get to the higher end of the zoom.

Mum has a Canon SX30 with a massive 35 x zoom - she is getting excellent results with it.

Here are a few of her photos which she let me put into webshots -

Amenhotep III excavations from roadside - …webshots.com/photo/2397742020102163115IEjfyi

At Kalabsha Market - …webshots.com/photo/2655568910102163115MQKjwB

Also - +1 on "Now, for technical details etc. on photos, eLaReF is your man" - he has been a great help to me with hints and tips on taking better photos etc.

Edited: 6:11 am, June 03, 2012
sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Any advice on Cameras

Another vote for Panasonic Lumix from me, i am on my third model and they are absolutely fabulous and very easy to use. There is a wide range of models available with different zooms. My current one has 18x zoom but i am thinking of upgrading to the FZ100 which has 24 x zoom. You can get the FZ100 for just over £230 i believe now as an even newer model is out. I will email you a couple of photos i took in VOK with my first lumix which was 12 x zoom.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
250 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Any advice on Cameras

I'm the wrong person to answer!

The 2nd spare 'body' I bought for my setup used up your budget I'm afraid

I keep telling people that my 2 Pentax DSLRs are regarded as 'entry-level' in the camera world, but because I've got 2, 4 lenses and a flash, I get funny looks when I say that.

I have joined a camera club and found that most of the other members' camera bodies, cost more than everything I've got put together!

You need to decide what you want - can you be bothered changing lenses - or do you just want a do-it-all one, etc. (Changing lenses let's SAND in if you're not careful)1

Look around the internet and compare prices. One of mine was a Jessop's offer, the other e-bay. Both were new. (Yes - I'm Scottish!)

And just to keep up with Suzie_M and Marlscat, my own pics are at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

Edited: 7:04 am, June 03, 2012
The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Any advice on Cameras

I usually change my lenses either in the taxi / mini bus or if outside and no alternative put the camera / lens etc into a plastic carrier bag and change inside there! I admit I don't like changing the lenses too often when outside and tend to stick to the wide angled lens most of the time, unless of course I know I'm going somewhere where I may have to use the zoom, agree with eLaReF tho - unless you want the bother of having to change lenses etc then probably best to look at other cameras out there.

I thought a DSLR would be a bit too complicated and bulky for me but wanted to get better photos than I was getting, a semi professional at work helped me make my choice (he has a fancier olympus pen model) - I was made aware of the pros and cons of changing lenses before I bought it, for me the pros outweighed the cons.

You could also take a look at TA's Travel Gadgets and Gear forums for any more suggestions - tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i12530-Travel…

NE UK
Level Contributor
612 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Any advice on Cameras

Wow - some great photo's! Thanks everyone. Marlscat - I've looked at the Olympus and I'm tempted. Its much lighter than the Panasonic Lumix FZ49 I was looking at, but I do like a viewfinder, and the Olympus doesn't have one. eLaReF - I really want a point and shoot. To keep changing lenses I would have to be swapping between specs as well so a bit messy for me. In my old age I'm getting quite clumsy, so something would surely end up crashing to the floor! I am shopping around - the web is great for that isn't it? At present it's between the Olympus and the Panasonic. My daughter is a fan of Nikon, but they seem more expensive.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,132 posts
283 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Any advice on Cameras

Why not go and get some advice from a camera shop

The Scottish Borders
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Any advice on Cameras

I wasn't going to upload these to webshots as it was just my first trial run last Saturday with the Olympus SZ-30MR.

They were taken in and around Edinburgh, some in the museum during my lunch break on a study day (Temples, Tombs and Fascinating mummies - it was excellent btw!!!!)

Photos currently uploading - I have slow broadband, it may take an hour or so.

good-times.webshots.com/album/582904046oPWOfs