We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Luxor

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Safety in Luxor

Hi, I have just spoken to a friend of mine who regularly visits luxor, she has just come back from there and felt extremely unsafe - there have been reports of muggings and street robbery by youths. She has advised me not to walk out alone, especially at night - does anyone else have any further information? I am going back there in March and I am quite concerned, as I am travelling alone. Thanks very much

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Luxor

For the latest, see the first few posts on the "Tourist intimidation' thread (those before the T-shirt debate) and the recent trip reports by KAZL2000 and Rowz. Pick pocketing and bag snatching have been on the increase for some time but they are still comparatively rare and, if you use the basic common sense you would use at home or indeed anywhere, you should be OK.

Pattaya, Thailand
Level Contributor
87 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Luxor

Hmmm....I just left Luxor after 5 nights there. Walked the corniche late at night, no worries at all. For sure the hassle factor is a 12 or so. I'll never use the phrase "my friend" to anybody again. But never felt intimidated. The worst are the "guides" at the various sites. Especially the young men in the Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Queens, Tombs of the Nobles. Man, they just don't give up.

It's sad, but keep your head down, don't show any interest, don't answer any questions. Just say NO. If you do talk with them, they won't leave you alone and will eventually bug you for money. Sad, but don't be nice.

Other than that, the Egyptian people are great. The police are EVERYWHERE. It's very safe and a GREAT time to visit. No lines. Except for Karnak with the tour buses from the beaches on day trips.

With that being said, as a female, I would be careful where I walked alone. Day or night. That goes for pretty much anywhere you are unfamiliar with. Petty crime does seem to be on the rise. Tourism is down, people are hurting, and petty crime is an easy way to go.

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Luxor

What gets me is its all reports of this and reports of that which are mostly reported on here. Very few incidents actually witnessed first hand. Despite going several times per year over the last few years i have never seen any crimes committed nor ever felt intimidated. I would agree with Craig above that it is perfectly safe and i would not let the odd bad apple rob me of a good holiday in Luxor.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4,564 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Luxor

Setihay

For the record, I have never felt “intimidated” but am personally aware of several incidents of minor crime since last June. You quote craigt3365 when he says that Luxor is “perfectly safe” but not when he says that petty crime seems “to be on the rise” and women should be careful where they walk alone day or night.

In short, as everyone has been saying for months, a little common sense ensures a good holiday.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Luxor

During the last 6 months I (female) have been to Luxor 5 times. Aside from the increased sexual innuendo I have personally witnessed a woman being mugged, I have myself had a man attempt pickpocketing me and I know a rep who had her bag snatched on the streets.

My Egyptian friends advise me to take a taxi of a night which I have to admit sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. However I do not go into parts I am unfamiliar with, I stick to busy streets and do not go long distances. There was a bag snatch last week which one of my friends witnessed but I wasn't there so I suppose it can be classed as 'hearsay' to some.

Police presence is very low at the moment which IMO is the main problem, although I did notice a few more on the streets the other week.

I don't enjoy giving this information out as I absolutely love Luxor but it is happening despite some people thinking otherwise. However do bear in mind that it doesn't mean it will happen to you or it happens every day.

It hasn't put me off returning either alone or with family, but it makes sense to be aware of any such incidents. There are other forums aside from Trip Advisor with reports good and bad which might be worth seeking out so you get the full picture.

lincoln
Level Contributor
518 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Luxor

Can i just say that it happens in all Countries at least our own but we must keep our wits about us and be carefull.I had my bag snached of me in Turkey but doesnt meen i wont go back .Like Luxor going again soon .

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Luxor

Totally agree Suzychuck

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Luxor

Thanks for that, If its incidents you have personally witnessed then i accept its happening it reports where people heard someone else say something i am not sure about. Its just that i know crime has always happened in Luxor but at a low level with a few bad apples compared to other countries and i wonder if its any worse than its ever been. The relative safety of Egypt in general and luxor in particular has always been part of the charm of Egypt. Tourism is at such a low level and people are struggling that i dont want people to be put off going.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Luxor

From my point of view I feel it has increased Setihay but that is just my personal opinion and I am sure others may disagree. I will say again it hasn't put me off returning as you can tell by the amount of times I have been recently :)

sheffield
Level Contributor
157 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Luxor

No it would not put me off either, it would have to be pretty bad to stop me going.

Just love the place, no where else feels quite the same. I always feel perfectly safe and comfortable in Luxor and it almost seems like a third home. It is so geared up for tourism and i walk everywhere day and night and apart from hassle which is par for the course have never felt threatened.

The only significant difference since the revolution that i have noticed is that the awful caleche drivers are outside the sonesta and are even more obnoxious than ever.