We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Translate please

Which Luxor hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Translate please

hi, I and my husband are going on a Nile cruise at the end of March, and we are really looking foward to it. The only thing I was worried about was being hassled when out in Luxor, but reading the forum it seems that the words La Shukran works, does this mean no thank you in English? Any other tips would be most welcome.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Translate please

yes, no thanks

Also:

Khalas or Kefaya: enough

emshy: go away

sebny wie emshy: leave me and go away

sebna wie emshy: leave us and go away

eh'terem nafsak: respect yourself (behave)

hagiblak el bolees: I will get you the police

hagiblokom el bolees: I will get you (plural) the police

(to be used in the worst cases)

so, there you have it, a whole arsenal of anti-hassle terminology! LOL

Yorkshire, UK
Level Contributor
143 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Translate please

My wife and I have just returned from a super holiday in Luxor and, yes, there is a lot of hassle. I do not think there is a magic word or phrase which solves the problem, after all they do understand English and "I'm not interested" type gestures. Initially, we tried saying nothing and avoiding eye contact as some recommend. Later we did make short responses like "No thanks" or "we want to walk" or "we have already seen the West Bank". They try to size you up so be firm but polite. Do not get drawn into conversation or it is hard to shake them off and you may be followed. Generally, the approaches are good natured and may be welcome if you are looking for a taxi or carriage.

Don't let the hassle put you off and you will have a great time. The ancient sites are fantastic. We also recommend a balloon trip at sunrise (don't pay more than £50)and a felucca trip at sunset. Hope this helps.

ALEXANDRIA, EGYPT
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Translate please

Hi, the best thing to avoid hassel is not to answer or even eye contact them.The only places with no hassel are;DIGITAL BAZAR, GADIS,andABODY BOOK SHOP all along the nile beside THE OLD WINTER PALACE HOTEL.

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Translate please

As David said,yes you do get hassle but I would say friendly on the whole. Just be firm & polite but please, please don't totally ignore the people. 'La Shukran' usually works although you may have to say it a few times!!! I live here & I still get some hassle, But these people are only trying to make a living, wages are poor here. If you need any further advice I would be happy to help. You can contact me at ham.jann@yahoo.co.uk Have a great holiday!