We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

We are looking at spending 3 days in Luxor in March and are considering the following itineary:

Luxor Day 1

Temple of Karnak

Luxor Temple

Tomb of Ramses VI

Luxor Sound and Light Show at the Temple of Karnak

Luxor Day 2

Valley of the Kings

Temple of Hatshepsut at Deir el Bahari

Valley of the Nobles

Luxor Day 3

Luxor Fair trade center

Tomb of Queen Nefertari

Tomb of King tut

Souks

Is this a good pace? We will be travelling with a 4 year old. Also - what is the best way to get to these places? Hire a taxi for a day? Or are there reputable tours?

Please help!

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

You seem to be going to the Valley of the Kings on Day 1, 2 and 3. You will also not get into Queen Nefertari tomb. So you could do the west bank on one day East on the next and Souk and Fair trade in an evening. I personally would do the west bank in a taxi and the east bank, Luxor temple and Karnak with a guide which you could oganize through one of the tour shops on the corneche.

I would also do the sound and light show in a taxi, and take a small torch. You will also have to work out which night is in English, not sure if it is every night.

Phil

Edited: 4:19 pm, January 05, 2011
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

I'm no expert but I would suggest that Day one is too much and day 3 perhaps doesn't cover enough.

Even in March it can be quite hot so you would be best to try to get out and about early in the morning, especially to the West Bank, and then spend some time resting at your hotel in the middle of the day/afternoon before going out again perhaps late afternoon or for the evening. It would also give your 4yr old time for the pool and/or a nap.

If you are already going to the Valley of the Kings you may as well pay the extra and go into King Tut's tomb on that visit.

The Fair Trade Center and Souks can easily be done in the evening when its a bit cooler as everything stays open until late. They could also be fitted in with a dusk trip to Luxor Temple as they are all within easy walking distance of each other - again a bit cooler and a lovely time of day to be there and also to see the sunset over the Nile.

Edited: 4:24 pm, January 05, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

Thank you much - advice is much appreciated!Looking fwd to it!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,036 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

Adding to Boring's comment re Tut's tomb

It costs extra, but if you had already been to the VoK you would again need to pay the initial entrance fee that lets you into 3 tombs, so you do Tut on day one, when you are there - unless you want to see more than just 3 tombs of course

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

A few times my mum has purchased KV9 - Ramses V & VI ticket only (50LE) and has had no problem getting into the Valley without the 80LE "3 tomb ticket"

She explained to the men asking to see the tickets / rip off the stub that was the only tomb she wanted to visit and they had no problem with this.

Am aware that Mrs KV-Explorer tends to visit KV62 - Tutankhamum (100LE) only and although she had a bit of hassle trying to explain this in September, eventually they understood and she was allowed in without having to purchase the 3 tomb ticket also!!!

But would agree with the others - Better to keep your visit to Valley of the Kings to the one day only!

An idea might be to do the following.......

Day One:-

Karnak and Luxor Temples with an evening visit to the Souk / Fair Trade Shop.

Day Two:-

Valley of the Kings including KV9 - Ramses V & VI and KV62 - Tutankhamun, Tombs of the Nobles and Hatshepsut's Temple.

Day Three:-

I suggest a visit to Luxor Museum , maybe a felucca sail on the Nile and visit the Sound and Light Show at Karnak in the evening - for show times and languages see soundandlight.com.eg/Shows/…Timetable.aspx

This would give your 4 year old some pool time if your hotel / apartment has one.

Regarding the tomb of Nefertari, it is closed to the general public but if you have a spare $5000 USD and can get permission from the Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA) then you can get approx 10 minutes worth of time in the tomb.

I agree with Phil's suggestion i.e. using a taxi for the West Bank (Valley of the Kings, Nobles Tombs and Hatshepsut's Temple). Depending on your haggling skills look to pay between 100 - 150LE (total, not per person) and getting a guided tour for Luxor and Karnak Temples (although they can easily be done without too)

For location of some of the tour companies in Luxor see the following links from Luxor Travel Tips - their locations are highlighted in red.

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/centralluxor.htm

www.luxortraveltips.com/maps/southluxor.htm

Hope this helps,

Suzie :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

Thanks Suzie! Fantastic tips - quick question - is there a published schedule of the Sound and Light show - esp looking for the Engligh presentations to see which days of the week they are shown?

Thanks!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
107 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

oops just saw your link to the sound and light show - thanks!

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

Hello again :-)

The show lasts around 1 hour, during the first part of the show you walk through a pre-designated roped-off route of the temple, the second part is in a seated area by the sacred lake where images are beamed onto temple walls and lights glisten and twinkle on the sacred lake (the lighting is a lot better than the audio) Phil's suggestion of taking a torch is a good one along with wearing flat, comfy footwear as the ground is uneven.

Now, my camera skills are not great ( and have since upgraded my camera to one that takes better night time shots) but I do have a few photo's I took of the show here:- travel.webshots.com/album/576637667ErZelq

Suzie :-)

Edited: 9:33 am, January 06, 2011
9. Re: What is the best way to visit the sites in Luxor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:41 am, July 06, 2011