We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

PLease can someone advise me the situation regarding visas. I assume that we will need one? Will the tour company organise or do you have to do it when you land in Luxor?

Also I would like to take a special bottle of wine in my luggage to celebrate a birthday whilst we are away. Are you allowed to take alcohol on board - and how would they know?

Do you usually have a kettle in your cabin? If not I will take a travel one. Are the sockets UK type?

Finally can you give me some kind of guidance to how much cash I should take and in what currency. Am I right in thinking that you can pay for all onboard drinks etc by credit card at the end of you cruise so that only cash you will need is for tips and purchases.

I assume you can exchange money on the boat but is the rate poor?

Many thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Hi jay,

The questions you raise are asked frequently on the forum, so many answers may be founds in the 'Top Questions' section, on the top right of the page.

Yes, you will need a visa to enter Egypt and the tour reps will offer to sort this out for you, but will charge more than if you simply purchase it yourself, upon arrival (very easy to do)

This link is to a thread where this subject was covered recently and so gives more details :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k3…

You won't have a problem taking your preferred drinks on board, but do be discreet, or you may be told it is not allowed.

There are not any kettles in the cabin, again, here is a link that covers this subject :-

(different boat, but same subject) so take your own, but again, be discreet, as with the wine and do not leave it 'on display' in your cabin.

The sockets onboard (and throughout Egypt) are 2-pin european type, so you will need this kind of adaptor.

How much cash you should take largely depends on how much eating, drinking and purchasing you want to do, over and above want is included in your cruise package, but you are right to assume that the exchange rate on most boats is very poor.

You may also be given inaccurate information whilst on the boat to discourage you from trying to change your money elsewhere, see reply no.12 in this thread (again, different boat, but same subject) :-

Hope this helps a bit.

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Hello there,

Visa - When you first enter the airport terminal building you will see small booths on the left hand side, join the queue and hand over £10 (Sterling - Bank of England note only) and your passport, have a £5.00 note handy just incase the exchange rate is poor (The official price for the visa is $15 USD but they take Sterling) When you are getting your visa you can also ask to exchange some money from Sterling into LE and you will get a far better rate here than on the boat. There will no doubt be a Longwood Holiday rep there too - He will say he can get your visa for you and collect the money on the coach / boat but he will charge extra for this service.

Yes you will be allowed to take the bottle of wine on board but I would keep it out of sight in your cabin and only drink it in there otherwise you may be charged a high corkage fee.

There are not normally kettles in the cabin's of the cruise boats, if you take your own travel kettle keep it out of sight in your wardrobe (all to do with on board Health & Safety)

Plugs are 2 pin type - the same as you would use in Europe.

Here is a link to an inside page on tipping and currency. tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21328-Genera…

I've always been able to pay my tab at the end of the week by credit card and also any additional excursions I've wanted on board so yes, the only cash you will need is for any tips, souvenirs etc.

Suzie

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Hi there

Everything has been pretty well covered, but I'd just like to add to make sure that the Sterling notes you take with you should be in good condition, should be Bank of England only, and with no flaws. Even the slightest bit of damage can cause a problem with the teller refusing to change it for you.

I bought a double two-pin adaptor which incorporates a night light as well - it's great when sleeping in a room that's unfamiliar to you.

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Thank you all very much. Do appreciate your prompt replies.

I will check out the links too.

We are lucky enough to have a balcony. Do you think we will be bothered with mozzies? Should I take spray?

Cheers all

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
2,559 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Hello again :-)

I would take a spray with you just in case, you don't really get bothered with mozzies while the boat is sailing but when the boat is docked there can be the odd few flying about.

The gift shops on board the boats normally sell a spray called "off" it is very effective but the fumes from the spray are terrible.

England, United...
Level Contributor
5,920 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Jay.....a little tip for packing your special wine. As you will need to carry bottles of water around with you on your excursions an insulated bottle carrier comes in really useful. If you have one it will also be invaluble as part of your packing to help protect your wine. Don't forget - it will have to go into your main baggage unless you are buying it at the airport Duty Free,

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Thank you, lovely people.

jak717
Level Contributor
204 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Just a tip for repelling the mozzies, we use (and has been mentioned on here) the avon skin so soft dry oil spray in soft and fresh fragrance which has citronella in it. It works well, smells nice and keeps the skin moisturised too. Have a great time :-)

bedfordshire
Level Contributor
124 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

I will get some. Thanks

bury st edmunds
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: NIle Cruise RA11 Longwood Holidays First timers!

Hi Jay I travelled on the RA11 18 months ago, there isnt a kettle in the cabin just so you are aware, they also had mozzie spray in the rooms, Which they always used when they cleaned the room so I really didnt have a problem but always wise to take something just in case! But you lucky people will have a great time hope you enjoy it I certainly did and it gave me the bug have returned twice since then and have my fourth trip booked for May 70 sleeps and counting!! Enjoy !! S