We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

Wicklow Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

My husband and I are going on the above cruise later this year 2010

. We are wondering that the tippping arrangements are and

if it is possible to take a bottle of whiskey on board to have in

our cabin. Some ships allow this while others do not.

Would really appreciate getting some info on the above

Mary from Ireland

Banbury, United...
Level Contributor
298 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

Hi

we are going on the Fleurette next week,which according to african safari club is its sister ship. The policy is £15 each for tips payed on boarding.

As for the bottle of whisky we will be taking one regardless of the rules,as we have been told the onboard bar prices are mental.

Wicklow Ireland
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

Hi Tracy,

Thank you for taking the time to answer my uestion.

Mary

derby
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

hi Tracy is right I ve been on both boats and £15 is taken for tips although some of us did tip extra for good service.

Northwich, Cheshire
Level Contributor
4 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

Hi

We went on the Da Vinci last year and the tip was £15 per person to cover the crew, drivers, porters, etc. You may want to tip your Egyptologist separately as they are not included (we did, ours was brilliant).

We took duty free on board and kept it in the fridge with no problem whatsoever.

Be warned - your drinks bill will be big, we had a few beers and glasses of wine but mostly bottles of water or soft drinks, and out bar bill was £200 for two of us, this is where they make the money. Tip - buy your bottles of water on the coach, its cheaper :)

Above all enjoy all Egypt has to offer and have a great time!

5. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:31 pm, March 24, 2010
England, United...
Level Contributor
5,915 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

£1 & 50p's for tipping. MagdalenBlue this must have been your first visit to Egypt as you have obvously never been hounded and hassled to change striling tips into Egyptian pounds.

Please, please, please, visitors to Egypt, don't follow this advice to give stirling coins as tips. Egyptians cannot take these coins along to the banks or change bureau and exchange for Egyptian pounds.

DO give tips as and when you consider appropriate but please tip responsibly, in the currency of the country - Egyptian Pounds.

If you want more information on Tips and Tipping please see the Useful Information/Top Tips section on the right of the page.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

I have to agree with boringFS - please DO NOT take coins whether they be Sterling or Euro for tipping. The local people CANNOT exchange these at the banks and have to resort to hassling tourists to exchange them into their own currency (much the same as here in the UK - banks DO NOT exchange foreign coins!)

This is one of the links to pages referred to in boringFS's reply

tripadvisor.co.uk/GoListDetail-i21328-Genera…

Edited: 11:51 am, March 24, 2010
London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

Trip Advisor is a wonderful tool and much information and advice can be gained from here, to make many peoples holidays and trips to foreign countries run a lot smoother with less problems.

That, of course, is provided that the advice given, is GOOD advice.

Anyone thinking of following MagdalenBlue's advice of taking £1 coins, 50p pieces and Euro coins to Egypt, to tip with, should have a look at this link :-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294205-i9426-k2…

It is just one example of the many, many times that this 'unhelpful' suggestion is put forward on the forum.

As has already been said, this 'selfish' action helps nobody, other than the person doing it.

It does NOT help the recipient of the 'tip' and it certainly does NOT help every other tourist that follows, who will have to endure a great deal of hassle, from locals who have been tipped with coins they cannot use, to change them into something they CAN use, because, as has already been said, they cannot change it ANYWHERE else !

This then, makes this action, one of the most selfish, inconsiderate things you can do.

It gets YOU out of a spot, but causes all kinds of problems for everybody else.

So, in the interests of TA's reputation for givingGOOD advice, I would respectfully ask MagdalenBlue to remove their post and re-submit it MINUS the BAD advice about taking 'foreign' coinage to tip with.

Portsmouth
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

We have just come back from the MS DA VINCI this week and must say we had a good time.

A £15 ship tip was taken when we booked some optional extra excursions but we still gave some small tips for the staff who looked after us (this was still smaller than the tips to use some off-boat toilets). Please note getting small Egyptian currancy is difficult.

We had no problem having our own drink in our room. We did not go mad drinking whilst on holiday as some of the trips started very early. Therefore, a bottle of wine most nights, occassional beer and lots of water meant we had a bar bill around £75 which I think was fair and expecting more. Wine bottles not finished on one night are stored by staff for the next evening meal.

I think having a ship to come back to between excursions made the holiday less tiring and more manageable.

Hope you have a good time and a good tour leader like we did. We would travel with African Safari Club again because we found all the excursions well organised and on time.

10. Re: Nile Cruise on M.S.DaVinci

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 21, 2010