We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise itinerary

sexybex56
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Cruise itinerary

Hi I have been looking through the cruises itinerarary. It says that on day 5 you can either have a day to relax or to vist abu simbel. Is this included in what you have already paid or is it anadditional cost.

Also can you please advise on the price of drinks etc.

And can you get water from the shop on board or is it only sold behind the bar?

Thanks

becky

sexybex56
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Cruise itinerary

I should add that we are staying on crown prince with thomson.

Weymouth, United...
Level Contributor
755 posts
1 review
2. Re: Cruise itinerary

Abu Simbel is usually an additional extra. If you fly it can range from £105-£160 and you get about 90 minutes there. By road it can cost about £65 but the trip is a long one lasting about 8 hours round trip...

Its well worth seeing (though when I go in September I am not visiting due to cost restrictions and the fact I want to do AS via Lake Nasser) and I would recommend flying over road but its a personal choice.

Can't advise re drinks I am afraid!.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
89 reviews
3. Re: Cruise itinerary

The Abu Simbel trip is extra - sure someone will update latest price but it was round about £130 pp last year. Early start - about 3-30am. We opted to have a day off and have walk around Aswan. Others took a felucca ride over to Kitcheners Island etc etc. the Abu Simbel trippers were back on board by about 1-30pm.

Water available from the bar on board or at your table at meal times,( the shop sells souvenirs, clothes , gifts etc) Also available from the driver of your coach when you are out and about. We bought some bottles at the little shop right at end of the gangplank where CP moored in Luxor. Put it in a bag so it didnt look too obvious taking it on board. We had to keep one bottle out of the fridge at all times -the fridge was so cold !!

Have a wondeful trip - dont forget the binoculars !

Newton le Willows
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
4. Re: Cruise itinerary

We stayed on the crown prince in Nov last year. It's a lovely clean boat & the food is good. However, the drinks onboard are quite expensive. You sign for your drinks & get a bill at the end of the trip. It's very easy to run up a large bill especially if you order wine with your meal. Some people on our trip had bills in excess of £300. I had bought drinks at the airport & just ordered mixers at the bar. The shop on board is just a gift/jewellers shop. It's better to stock up on soft drinks, water,snacks etc on the first evening you arrive (there is a small supermarket facing where the boat is moored). Each cabin has a fridge so buy enough to last until you get to Aswan on the 5th day. We didn't do the Abu Simbel trip as we wanted to fly there but no flights were available. I was so sorry afterwards as the ones who did make the trip by coach said it was worth the very early start. Going back in June(different boat) so must make the effort to do it then.

Enjoy your trip, you'll have a wonderful time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
5. Re: Cruise itinerary

I have done many Nile cruises over the years, one of which was on the Crown Prince.

I cannot add anything to what the other posters have said, only to say that my only complaint, when compared to some of the other cruises I had done, was that it was too big (i.e. too many people on board) wghich resulted in queues and delays during mealtimes.

However, if the boat is not full when you are on it, then this may not be an issue.

Water will be up to 4 or 5 times more expensive onboard the boat as when bought in on shore shops, so I would advise buying water/soft drinks etc., at every oppurtunity on shore and use discretion when taking it back on board ship.

All cruise ship itineraries are almost identical, although sometimes they are done 'the other way around' so to speak.

But as the others have already said, Abu Simbel is always an optional extra.

Hope this helps. :-)

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
4,433 posts
89 reviews
6. Re: Cruise itinerary

Let us know how you get on - we will def do a return trip on the CP hopefully next year.

Summerside, Canada
Level Contributor
472 posts
109 reviews
7. Re: Cruise itinerary

What is the problem with taking water and sodas back on board the ship?

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,238 posts
40 reviews
8. Re: Cruise itinerary

Hi Oreo,

Firstly, they aren't ships, they're boats.

Secondly, they don't want their passengers buying water at 1.5le per large bottle, or cans of pop at 2le, and bringing it onto the boat as that would stop them selling their water etc. for the inflated prices that they charge. Pretty simple really, and don't forget that, somewhere along the line, you will find that they will be perfectly within their rights to stop you doing it. After all, even though you are "paying" guests you are still there at their discretion.

I read on here the other day (somewhere) that the Luxor Hilton had charged someone over 80le for two bottles of water! Now THAT is beyond a joke.

Happy sailing,

Edward.

London
Level Contributor
181 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Cruise itinerary

The M/S Crown Prince (And other TravCo SHIPS (As doesn't M/S actually state that its a Mechanical Ship????)) are not going to stop you from taking bottles of water and cans of soda back on board, this is rubbish.

As for the intial question, the trip to Abu Simble from the summer (After the fall in currency) is £79 by road (probably the best option) or £199 by air if you really do not like to travel. As this trip takes place whilst docked in Aswan, there are alternatives, such as visiting the old cataract hotel, the markets, museums or tombs of the nobles!

Happy travels

John

Newton le Willows
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
10. Re: Cruise itinerary

I have to agree with the above comment about taking drinks etc onboard. We were never stopped & it was obvious from the amount of people taking carrier bags full of cans, crisps, water etc every time we docked, that they were not bothered. We always had bottles of water & soft drinks etc openly on show on the dressing table plus a couple of bottles of spirits. Having said that, we also did the same at the JV & were never stopped(maybe we were just lucky).