We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Topic
nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

hi

the wife and i are going with first choice on a nile cruise on nov 3rd,i am a keen photographer and i want to take most of my equipment ,about 7 kgs in weight including the bag.will i have a problem with this as hand luggage on the plane ,also if i take strirling such as pound coins and fivers can i use these for tipping and purchases at some of the markets,as i know eygptian money is not the cleanest and i dont realy want to carry it.

thanks for any advice.

ps did a nile cruise about 10 yrs ago but used eygptian then

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

Some airlines are very strict about luggage allowances, including hand luggage, so suggest that you try to make proir arrangements with them just in case.

I would suggest 1 US dollar bills for tips if you really don't want to handle the local money. It is usually only the smaller notes upto 20LE [Egyptian pounds] that are really dirty. Using anti bacterail handwash regular should ensure you are ok though. Local people cannot exchange pound coins sterling in the banks, only paper money.

The markets will accept sterling for purchases but I would think only notes not coins.

Exchange rate has dropped here but probably still better than the rate in the UK. Yesterday it was 9.3 LE to 1 pound sterling.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
590 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

Hi when we did our nile cruise in Octobr last year and July this year we took sterling with us both time and of course egyptian money as well. We gave a tip at the begiing to our tour operator on arrival aboard which covered all tips for all staff for the week which was a good idea and then at the end of the week we personally tipped a coupple of the waiters who had given excellent service but you didnt have to. We found that sterling was just as acceptable as egyptian. We also paid for our additional trips in sterling as they didint want egyptian.It is eaier to spend egyptian at the markets, but nowadays they also have coins which look very similar to the euro.We had a small travel since of anti bac gel which cost us 99p at home and carried that everywhere and just used it after handling the money ~ no problems.If you use £1 coins, you will find people asking you to change them to egyptian for you as they cant excahnge coins at the banks.

Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
590 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

I ment to say that they didnt want egyptian for the additional trips on board.

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

thanks iberis

i,ll check with the airline

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

Hi there

Good advice from Iberis. The local people can't change UK one pound coins or Euros and chase after tourists with handfuls trying to get them changed into their own currency - and some people can find this very annoying. We usually carry Sterling notes and travellers cheques with us and change it all in Luxor for the better rate. Also, I carry the antibacterial hand spray that Iberis mentioned, along with spare packs of tissues and wet wipes.

Hopefully you should get on board with all your photographic equipment - split it between you as you'll be allowed one piece of cabin baggage each. It'll depend on the airline as to how much weight you're allowed in each bag - some weigh the bags and some don't.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
496 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

I got away with two pieces of hand luggage back in June - camera bag included. It seems that most airlines will only kick off if you really go over the top with your hand baggage.

You may have to put your camera in one of those plastic trays for scanning, but otherwise you should be OK.

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

thanks to all for the helpful replies

cumbria
Level Contributor
278 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

well i think the luggage thing is a bit stupid, they weigh your luggage to calculate how much fuel they will need for the flight, ok fair enough, but why don't they weigh us?

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

if they did would i pay excess baggage for the wife

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: nile cruise photo equipment, and what currency

if they did would i pay excess baggage for the wife