We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile cruise and stay

south yorks
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Nile cruise and stay

Hi all I'm a newbie to this forum, I'd like to ask your opinions on the above.

We are hoping to take our Grandson in Jan/Feb 2009 he will be 10yrs and is very keen on Egyptology and has been since he was about 4 or 5.

Would the cruise be ok for him would we be able to have the 1 cabin or would we need 2.

Thought we may need a rest after tours so hopefully we will stay in hotel after any suggestions where?

There are so many ships and hotels on line its confusing so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

south yorks
Level Contributor
42 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile cruise and stay

Just to add is the cruise the best way to see the wonderful sights, as doing the tours would be the main part of our holiday.

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,669 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile cruise and stay

For an adult I found the cruise the best way to see Egypt/Nile Valley but the cruise might be a bit boring for a young lad, there is nothing to do except sun bath and watch the scenery while the ship is moving, which was great for me, loved it. You also might find the rooms very tight for 3. The room we had wouldn't have fitted 3, but there might be larger rooms available. One suggestion is to stay at Maritim Jolie Ville in Luxor and do morning trips leaving the afternoon for the pool then go out in the evening and explore Luxor.

Phil

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile cruise and stay

Hi, I did a nile cruise in October with my twins who are ten and they loved it, it was very hot though so its good to see that you are going in the winter.

The staff on the cruises are great with children and your grandson will be made a fuss of. My kids thought it was their best holiday yet and I am returning with my daughter and her friend in 3 weeks.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
74 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile cruise and stay

First brought our youngest daughter when she was 10. Cruised on the M.S. Norma, in a suite. It was tremendous. Hardly saw Alice while we were sailing. As other reply states, the boat staff kept her occupied and fascinated. One day she would be weighing the gold trinkets for customers in the little shop, the next day she'd be sqeezing oranges behind the bar! She loved the whole experience. So much so that now she is grown up she comes to Luxor at every opportunity.

Would suggest late February, it turns warmer in the evenings from about the 24th. You will probably have trouble booking a suite from UK, so suggest you book your accommodations here in luxor. Winter Palace and Hotel Mercure are best placed, both lovely. Maritim Jolie Ville is well out of town (well, too far to walk) although the pools etc are great for kids.

You could do all the local visits from your hotel, then pick a nice boat and do a 2 or 3 night cruise down to Aswan including sightseeing, returning via train or convoy. This would probably be the best value for money as well as the best use of time.

5. Re: Nile cruise and stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:16 pm, September 21, 2009