We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

Dear fellow travellers, I plan to travel from Luxor to Hurghada on 28th December. What is the best way? We will be a couple with a 10 year old, 2 medium pieces of luggage. Is there a bus that I can book in advance? How much would a bus or a taxi cost? And most important, Is it safe to travel?

Thank you all in advance for your advice/ response

Edited: 7:27 am, June 03, 2017
28 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
8,973 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

It's safe. There's a daIly GoBus service for LE 60 (I think) per person. A taxi or hire car was around LE 400 to LE 550 when I last looked but, thanks to higher petrol prices and general inflation, may be more now. If you want to go by taxi or tour car, the driver or tour company will have to arrange for police permission beforehand. It's a simple process but you will have to set things up at least the day before.

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

I've just done this route again and used the Gobus. There are 2 every day at 8am and 3.30pm. Takes just under 5 hours with a stop halfway through. Easily booked at the office not far from railway station. Cost is 65le each. Felt perfectly safe. Taxi drivers were offering trip around 500le to 650le mark.

Edited: 11:20 am, June 03, 2017
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
171 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

You can use the GO BUS

you can book it from here

https://go-bus.com/

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

I will be finishing my Nile tour by early afternoon and hence wont make it on time for the 15:30 bus. Besides, the Go Bus website does not have a Luxor -> Hurghada trip. The only trip departing from Luxor basis their website is to Cairo. This leaves me with the only other option, a taxi.

Do I have to book a taxi in advance or can I just take one from a taxi stand. I heard of some permit as well that has to be arranged at least a day in advance. Any advice on this?

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

As stated in the first post your taxi has to apply for permission the day before.

I think on the Gobus site you need to scroll down for the Luxor to Hurghada route. Though I know sometimes the site does play up a bit from time to time.

Port Ghalib, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam, Port Ghalib, Safaga, Hurghada
Level Contributor
5,208 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

I could be wrong here what happened to the Superjet bus that left next to Luxor train station at 7.30pm? I know there used to be 1 or has that stopped now?

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

True, Kaz, just checked gobus website and there are buses going the Luxor-Hurghada route and back.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

Spin doc, the only service that comes up for me when I select Hurghada is to Cairo. No mention of Luxor.

Can you double check by putting in Hurghada to Luxor? It may be different in other countries. Egyptian websites are often filled with gremlins

Edited: 10:28 pm, June 04, 2017
Derby, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

I am booked on the go bus from Hurghada to Luxor in 2 weeks time, so can verify it can be booked from their site. A very easy and cheap process, I am quite looking forward it.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
1,887 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada

Hey, Nef, what a silly website that is of gobus! I just realized it only shows routes such as Luxor-Hurghada, when I used my iPhone, but not using the laptop internet browser! Maybe it is best to check it on mobile phones or similar, or even to download its phone application.

Edited: 7:16 am, June 05, 2017
Reply to: Travel from Luxor to Hurghada
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted