We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
10 reviews
Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

I am getting different information from well know tour companies regarding travel restrictions times for tourists??? One is saying because its a private transfer by them there is no restriction on timings??? Another is saying they fill out your details and you can go at 6 am ??

Help please

Hannah

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

From everything I've read and heard, it's the second. Egyptian regulations, however, can (to put it delicately) be fluid. My driver on a trip from Luxor back to Hurghada decided to take the route supposedmy prohitbited to tourists. "Put in your sunglasses" (to look more Egyptian), he said and off we went without a care or a problem.

On the other hand, unless you get credible and clear confirmation of anytime travel, I would be inclined to play it safe and not risk any last minute hassles at the Safaga checkpoint.

Edited: 12:33 pm, January 31, 2017
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
10 reviews
2. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Thanks, not sure I am any wiser lol

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Probably not. Sorry. The problem is that (1) the regulations (whatever they are) are not always strictly enforced and (2) some tour operators will say whatever comes into their heads to close a sale.

As I said, unless you get some clear, concise and credible information to the contrary, I would play it safe and assume that the Safaga checkpoint will not let you through before say 06:00.

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
10 reviews
4. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Thanks, what about the return trip, I have been told i can get picked up a 10pm in luxor

hannah

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
288 reviews
5. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

We did your trip both ways in September

The rules are offishully no tourists on the road between 18:00 & 06:00! as BBeckett says many Tour Operators will attempt anything in the pursuit of money.

We landed at about 03:15 and got outside the terminal about 04:00 (They x-ray your luggage as you leave!!)

So our driver took us to a small local cafe & we had tea/coffee/coke until about 05:30. It was quite pleasant watching sunrise while doing so.

We met a check point somewhere just about 06:00 and he had his paperwork checked. Got to Luxor around 09:00.

Having got to our age, (The physical one - The mental one is another matter entirely) we've stopped attempting the impossible and look for comfort in our travels so we had booked a Hurghada hotel for the night. Left Luxor at 14:00, Hurghada at 18:00.

Our plane was at 04:15 so we aimed, fortunately, to be at the airport for 01:15.

Why fortunately?

Security made us open EVERY case & piece of hand luggage and went through it thoroughly. So it took us 30 mins to get into the terminal and we were only about 5th in the queue.

But the above depends on what flight times you have obviously. We were flying Turkish Airlines EDI-IST-HRG and return

So dig around for quotes and if they quote USD, they will expect to be paid in USD unless you arrange otherwise beforehand.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
288 reviews
6. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

P.S. We didn't get asked to send passport photocopies. Our Luxor hotel organised the transport.

London, United...
Level Contributor
9,749 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

"...what about the return trip..."

Again, my understanding is that you have to pass through the checkpoint at Qena before 18:00 (sundown?), a regulation which would mean having to leave Luxor an hour or so earlier. On the other hand, it's always possible that the regulations have been relaxed or changed recently. I haven't heard of anything like this but it's possible.

Who is saying this? As eLaReF says, some tour operators will try/say just about anything to get a little business these days and, unless you find several different companies saying more or less the same thing, I would be sceptical.

Edited: 3:26 pm, January 31, 2017
Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
10 reviews
8. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Thank you for that info, we intend to fly turkish airways as well, Dublin,Istanbul,Hurghada,same times as you, So the driver cant leave Hurghada till 5 30.. Hang around for 90 minutes... Good idea about hotel in Hurghada on return journey, Cost????????Name???

Hannah

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
11,864 posts
288 reviews
9. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Bella Vista Hotel - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g… Not the priciest, but we only wanted 7 hours worth.

Price I can't remember - it would be last years prices anyway - e-mail them and ask for a price for the short stay?

Whilst I wouldn't stay there for 4 weeks (not my sort of hotel) it was clean & tidy, food was good etc. and had very good service from them.

Car price - again I'm not sure - Mrs eLaReF dealt with it & a tip was involved so didn't see the total handed over.. But again it was last year before the LE was floated and devalued, so probably little to do with today's prices

Lisburn, United...
Level Contributor
613 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Private Airport Transfers "Hurghada Airport to Luxor return

Yes good idea

Hannah