We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Souks in Aswan

Which Aswan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
128 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Souks in Aswan

Would anyone kindly advise the business hours of souks in Aswan? How early does it start, and how late does it operate until? Where are the popular souks (souvenirs, as well interesting ones - we do not mind going off the beaten path) located? Would be most grateful for any kind advices. Thank you very much and good day to everyone!

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,012 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Souks in Aswan

AFAIK there is only one souk in Aswan and it runs quite a long way along along the same road a couple of blocks off the Corniche, easy to find from there. I'm not good at directions I'm afraid. Ask at your hotel, not in the street if you have to or you will get a guide you dont want. I don't know how early it starts but it is probably most active from early evening until maybe midnight.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Souks in Aswan

Like Verity, I only know of one souk in Aswan. Not sure of the exact opening times but I have been there mid morning & also late at night, the atmosphere imo is better at night.

I am not sure how busy it is at the moment, someone who has been recently will let you know but I was there was Nov 2011 and it was very quiet compared to previous visits.

You can reach it down any of the streets that run off the Corniche road but if you go to the Isis Corniche hotel, cross the road with care and walk down the street opposite the hotel (Sedanoui store is on the corner) walk two short blocks, you will come to an archway that says Aswan souk. The street is called el-souk I think, anyway someone will point it out to you but like Verity said shake off any one who wants to guide you.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Level Contributor
317 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Souks in Aswan

Be careful of a guy who patrols close to the banks along the Corniche near the souk there in Aswan. He was there 3 years ago and he was there again at the end of August this year too. He's pretty tall and with good English...

He offers you English coins in exchange for local currency - it's a scam so don't fall for it. He tries to switch the notes if you agree to exchange....

As for the souk yes - it's open all day and the easiest way to get to it is as above directly across the road from the Isis Hotel on the corniche and then you just make a left and it goes on for quite a while in the direction of the railway station.

Luxor, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,220 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Souks in Aswan

Aswan has been famous (infamous?) for this note-changing scam for years, be extra careful whenever you're using notes. I'm just pleased that this hasn't caught-on big-time in Luxor too, lol.

Regards,

Edward.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Souks in Aswan

I was there just a week ago and the souk was open as early as 10am, although many of the stands weren't properly manned. Still, most of the tourist stores will be open, as are a lot of the fruit stands.

When it's early there's less of a crowd (and it won't be as hot), so I rather enjoyed it. However, that means there's less tourists to bleed off the usual hassle.

Edited: 2:15 pm, January 07, 2013
Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Souks in Aswan

Hi SoaringCanuck, were there many tourists at the souk and in Aswan in general? I was there in November 2011 and it was so quiet, nothing like it usually is. I never thought Id say this but I miss the crowds of tourists;)

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Souks in Aswan

The old souk of Aswan is also used by the locals for their daily shopping such as vegetables, spices, clothes etc, so it is rather busy all day. Shops usually open at 11 am until 11 pm. It is usually crowded and more fun in the early evening until late at night, that is if you like the crowd and enjoy meeting locals. It is calm before noon.

The souk is located on a parallel street to the main corniche. It starts at the train station (If you face the train station, the souk starts at your right) and is quiet long. It ends behind the main Aswan police station. There are side streets along the corniche that lead you to the inside of the souk.

Nefertari, the last time I was there (couple of months ago) the souk was full with locals only. Few tourists! Aswan has been hit the most by the lack of tourists.

CHEERS

Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,002 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Souks in Aswan

Thanks Mofissio, that was my experience too. At the Museum there were two tourists and myself, nothing like the old days;)

UK
Level Contributor
810 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Souks in Aswan

I was in Aswan last month and often we walked through the Souk and saw no other tourists at all. As for note changing scams, they have been common in Luxor and Aswan ever since I can remember. Coin changing scams too are common in Luxor and Aswan. I agree with Mofisio that night time is the best time to experience Aswan shopping. It feels more alive then, more vibrant. Although it was very very quiet in Aswan, the sales hassle was bearable, (although incresed) especially compared to Luxor. Cairo, I found as easy as ever - away from the main tourist sites.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1,998 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Souks in Aswan

I thought the Aswan souk was so much nicer than the Luxor one lot less hassle from the traders...The change and note exchange is rife in Luxor as well as Aswan