We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Hi I'll be taking a night train from cairo to aswan.So I will reach Aswan in the morning.

I was thinking to make my way to Abu Simbel. I came across information that the buses to Abu Simbel leaving 3-4am and another round is at 11am?

Is it possible on my day of arrival in Aswan in the morning that I buy my bus ticket to Abu Simbel for the 3am bus?Safe to do this alone?I mean walking to the bus station at 2am in the morning to catch the bus.

Anyone can provide bus fare for a return ticket?If suggestion to take a tour down to Abu Simbel, what is the price range?Please give me info on the guide if you have anyone to introduce?

I'm trying to do it on a budget. Time-consuming doesn't really matters.

Thank you!

Mentioned in this post
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Actually I have done this before , my hostel arranged it was about 70le I think

The bus come to pick u up from ur hostel :)

Let me know if u need any info for Egypt

Thanks

Karim Kassem

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

the price is acceptable.the hostel i booked in cairo arranged me at 270usd for cairo-aswan (night train)-abu-simbel(bus)-luxor(train)-hurghada(bus).only included transportation and 2nights stay. Which i think is a little too much from my budget.Can you provide me info for the hostel u stayed?Thank you.

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

It's name is Norhan I am sure u can find it's info online if not let me know then

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

I arranged this trip for my son and girlfriend in December, over the internet before I left home. I had visited Abu Simbel on a previous visit. The price I paid was 100LE pp, but you pay as you get on the bus. Remember that does not include entrance or a guide, just return transport. which was fine for me. As Capisco said the mini bus will come to your hotel to pick you up. You might also be able to book a boxed breakfast at your hostal. Worth asking, otherwise take something with you as there are no stops.

Also be aware that the train is often late, 2 hours in not unusual. We waited at Luxor station for the 9.30am Cairo train to Aswan, we got on the 8.30am train at 11.50am. You will be fine traveling alone.

Phil

Mentioned in this post
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
42 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Thanks Capisco and Phil. But do you mean that I need to go through my hostel so they can arrange the bus to pick me up at the hostel?Or is it possible I go to the bus station to wait for the bus?

It will be helpful to clear my little confusion here.

Thanks

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

The bus that takes you will be for tourist only. You will also have to give your passport details to the company who take you 24hrs before you depart. That is why I organized it over the internet, as it was easier.

So the bus, which will be like a large mini bus, 16 seater. You can have problems with this type of bus as if it is full they then have fold down seats in the isle which look very uncomfortable for a 6 hour return journey. I travelled by myself and got a single front seat next to the driver. I also took a pillow with me.

So the mini bus will pick you up at the hotel and if you book through the hotel you will probably pay the hotel and give you details at the same time.

Phil

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Those microbuses run throigh hostels , I think better through the hostel ,as it will be hard to reach the bus station at 3am mmight cost a lot in a taxi if u found...

Alexandria, Egypt
Level Contributor
25 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Those microbuses run throigh hostels , I think better through the hostel ,as it will be hard to reach the bus station at 3am mmight cost a lot in a taxi if u found...

Bedfordshire
Level Contributor
2,645 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

The minibus doesn't go from the bus station, they wait just out of town on the southern side waiting for the police to let them go in the convoy. But they only go there once they have all their passengers, you cannot just turn up there. The bus station is on the northern side.

I believe there is a local bus that you can use but you are not guaranteed to be able to get on it or if you do, again not guaranteed that you can get back.

Edited: 8:34 am, April 23, 2012
boston
Level Contributor
52 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: aswan to abu simbel by bus alone?

Hi Phil,

Can u give me the website link where you booked your trip to Abu simbel.

Thanks

Bianca