We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

London
7 posts
1 review
Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

I'm booked to fish Lake Nasser for a week in November 2008 and was wondering whether anyone could give any tips on tactics and lures to use (or is bait worth a try?) and also what sort of size Nile Perch I can expect.

I have heard that the Nile Perch fishing may well have declined in the past few years, is this true? Does it still produce the huge fish that I have read it used to?

Thanks.

Northampton, UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
12 reviews
1. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi there,

My husband and I have fished the lake twice now and we love it. Who have you booked your safari with? Some of the tours give you an option of renting lures, rods etc. We purchased all of our equipment and it adds up very quickly to a very large investment. If you PM us your email address, I can send you a list if you like. One thing you must get before you go is garlic spam. The vundu catfish love it.

There are still some very large fish out there, but the largest nile perch we have landed was about 70lbs.

Karen and Rob

London
7 posts
1 review
2. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi Karen,

Thanks for replying.

I have booked through African Angler and yes they can supply a selection of lures but I would like to take some of my own for that extra satisfaction of catching using your own tackle! I have been told that a standard uptider couple with a Shimano TLD loaded with 80lb braid should suffice for tackle, and fortunately I possess these already. It's just the lures I am missing!

When did you last fish the lake, was it this year? Did other people in your party also catch some good size fish? How long were you there for, I am going for a week (5 days fishing I believe)? How many fish were you averaging each day? So many question....!!! :-)

Thanks for the tip about the Vundu, I would also like to target these too ... did you catch many?

As you suggest, I will send you my email address for further communication.

Thanks,

John

Nevis
Level Contributor
259 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Sorry I can't give you up to date info but I have had four fishing safaris on the lake.

I fished Nasser the first experimental year with Tim Bailey of African Angler way back in the early 90's. The excitement of catching 80 lb perch was unbelievable. Over the years new fishing grounds were found and catch sizes increased in both weight and numbers. My last trip was back in 2000 when I caught my biggest to date - 164 lbs. Throughout all this time the most successfull lure was an orange Rapala. I'm sure things will have changed but Tim was always free with good advice.

Vastly bigger than the 164 perch was something I hooked on the last day of one of our trips. Using 80 lb line I fought it for three hours without ever making an impresion. Every so often it would cruise to a new spot and hunker down. Sadly we had a flight to catch so our boatman, Mohammed Elephant, suggested I wrap the line around a wooden shaft and drag with the boat engine. Eventually the line snapped of course. He was sure we had foul hooked a large crocodile!

For me, better than the perch, is the sport from tigerfish. Something like a cross between a barracudu and a tarpon. Great fun!

I understand the boats are far more luxurious than those early days which may spoil it for some. If you can, try to have a few days and nights with nothing but the basics - trolling boat, boatman, sleeping bag, tackle and a bottle or three. I am planning to return shortly and will keep it rough and simple.

Have a great trip and please let us know how you got on!

Cairo - Egypt
Level Contributor
600 posts
4. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi.

With respect to lures, I would recommend sizes between 11cm and 18cm, with 14cm being the luckiest of all. Try all different colors and flavors; purple, silver mackerel, striped orange, solid orange, solid yellow, dorado, and red head. Rapala Magnum is very good, but should also try shallower and deeper lures. On the deeper side I recommend Mann's Stretch 20+ or equivalent Rapla X-Rap or Strike Pro.

Different times of the year and different times of the day put fish in many different moods. You don't want to miss a chance just because you didn't have the right lure.

80lb is far more than you need. If you go by the book, you'd use a fishing set of only 25% the maximum fish weight expected. That's if you expect a 150lb Nile perch, use a 30-35lb set. Sounds crazy, I know. But to be on the safer side (and leave the book aside), double that number and use a 70lb set if you expect 140-150lb fish. That's why 80lb is very safe and sufficient.

Happy fishing!

KT

croydon
Level Contributor
19 posts
5. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi What dates are you going? as i am on my first trip there fishing 27th oct- 2nd nov. If you have not already got it, then you must get tim baily and barrie rickards book "nile perch. the ultimate guide for anglers" I got mine on amazon for about £13.I have read and re read it and spoken to tim on the phone and by e mail and to be honest there is so much detail, that i have spent far too much trying to cover every eventuality. I have just under 100 lures, (rapala cd14,18,22 &26. ssr,s, Russellure 6 1/2 manns 20+and30+ reef diggers and depth raiders. I also like the look of live baiting and wobbled deads.

cheers Chris

croydon
Level Contributor
19 posts
6. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi What dates are you going? as i am on my first trip there fishing 27th oct- 2nd nov. If you have not already got it, then you must get tim baily and barrie rickards book "nile perch. the ultimate guide for anglers" I got mine on amazon for about £13.I have read and re read it and spoken to tim on the phone and by e mail and to be honest there is so much detail, that i have spent far too much trying to cover every eventuality. I have just under 100 lures, (rapala cd14,18,22 &26. ssr,s, Russellure 6 1/2 manns 20+and30+ reef diggers and depth raiders. I also like the look of live baiting and wobbled deads.

cheers Chris

London
7 posts
1 review
7. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

I am booked to go from Nov 3rd - 11th, so straight after you it would seem.

Have got plenty of trolling lures now I think, Shad Raps, Depthraiders, Manns, Russellures ... but need more bank stuff I think. Got some bulldawgs and Rapala CD's ... are there any others you think might be worth a go?

And yes, I have the Bailey / Rickards book.

croydon
Level Contributor
19 posts
8. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

HI A shame we miss eachother as i am travelling alone and would have been nice to have "met" before. I know there are 2 other english going out on the same day as me, but tim says that unless anyone books last min, then i will be on a boat alone. Has tim mailed you the updated info sheet for 08. it is an updated version of the nasser guide that tailer made holidays sent me when i booked. Tim does offer depth raider lures for £12 a lure with owner stinger 4x treble upgrades.If you pre order you can pay and collect in aswan.

I have also packed some 6/0 circle hooks and some big catfish floats as the section on livebaiting appeals.A handfull of mepps agila spinners have also been packed to try and catch some little live tigers for bait. I also have a rod set up with my river ebro catfish set up so i can deadbait or garlic lunceon meat at night for the cats.This is a multiplyer with 150lb power pro braid, which tim says will help if a cat burys itself in thick weed

What are your flights like? I am going on the sat, stopping in cairo for 6 hours then getting to aswan on the sun. The fishing starts a day early on the mon till sun where i have a late train to luxor then home on mon.Not looking foreward to all that with a rod holdall an 25k of luggage.

cheers. chris

London
7 posts
1 review
9. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

Hi,

Me and my mates have actually been a couple of time before, in 2001 and 2002. ALready have a load of owner hooks already as the standard ones just aren't up to the job. However, didn't do much bank fishing which is something I want to try more of on this trip.

Tried a few times at night for the vundu, but only picked up one between us of about 12lb.

We fly out on a Monday, Gatwick --> Luxor arriving at about 9pm, then stay the night and catch an early morning flight to Aswan. Pick a minibus there for a crive to Graf Hussain as we will be fishing the southern end of the lake down to Abu Simbel - have mostly fishing the northern end before.

It's funny that you mentioned the Ebro as I am off there for a week's fishing at the end of this month, which will be my 6th trip there since 2003. Have a mate who guides out there, so it's easy for me to come and go. Great fun and great fishing in Spain!

ps. I see you are in the Croydon area, I am just a little further south near Oxted!

croydon
Level Contributor
19 posts
10. Re: Nile Perch Fishing on Lake Nasser

I am in whyteleafe so very close. How have you done with the spanish cats? I have had 10 over the ton up to 154lbs plus "accidental" carp of 33 and 42lbs. If you go to the bavarian guiding service website, on page 5 of the gallery I am the bald guy in blue with the only carp on that page. the next photo with the green boat is my 154 but the caption says 156. Cheers chris