We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

france
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
25 helpful votes
Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

I've visited the website of Aswan Individual and they offer interesting excursions in Aswan but i would like to have some insights from travellers who already had a personal experience with their services.

Thanks in advance!

Davao

Whitstable, United...
Level Contributor
152 posts
145 reviews
144 helpful votes
11. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

We were in Egypt in February 2008 and they arranged our transfers to Aswan from Luxor as well as trips to the Dam, sight and sound and a majical day on the feluccia wtih Mustafa.

We found them to be very attentive to detail both pre, during and post visit and I would not go anywhere else.

They were also helpful when our accommodation booked caused problems and we hadnt even booked with them. Waleed took us to see other accommodation and sorted out our booking even though he was due to take his wife out for a meal!

Having someone who knows the area, cares about their clients interests and is pround of the area makes all the difference.

Have no worries you wont be disappointed!

Montreal
1 post
12. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

Hi,

A colleague at work who sometimes looks at TripAdvisor forums told me somebody was asking about Aswasn Individual. Since I just came back from Egypt (January. '08) and arranged my trip around Aswan with Petra, Waleed and Mustafa, I though I'd let you guys know about my experience with them.

Petra was incredibly helpfull in preparing my trip around Aswan, answering every email quickly and thouroughly. Yes, you can probably get the same trips Aswan Individual offers for a bit cheaper (not a lot), but then you have to haggle and sometimes won't get "exactly" what you paid for (this is Egypt after all...). Waleed arranged our trips to Abu Simbel, Light & Sound show at Philae Temple and got us a good price at the Marhaba Palace Hotel in Aswan. Everything was as we'd agreed, and on time.

We also did a 3 days/2 nights felucca tour with Mustafa. Very relaxing, the food was excellent (some of the best we've had in Egypt), and Mustafa is very friendly and a gerat captain. We actually rented the boat for ourselves only (my spouse and I), and since we were sleeping on the boat it was MUCH appreciated (there is ONE big mattress on the boat... so everyone sleeps on it, except the captain who has a small cabin). Very clean boat also, and we did a few nice stops in Nubian villages.

I just sent a few pictures and comments from our trip to Petra so she can add them to her website. I guess they should be posted there pretty soon.

I definitively recommend Aswan Individual if you'd like to arrange your trip around Aswan and are not too tight on your budget. It's a big load off your shoulders not having to haggle with the many felucca captains, taxis and "supposedly" official tour guides. And Petra is really a nice person (we even got to meet her in Aswan !!)

If you have other questions, feel free to ask, I'll be coming back for the next few days, just in case sombody needs more info.

Cheers,

Pierre-Olivier Duval

Montreal City, Canada

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
233 posts
41 reviews
53 helpful votes
13. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

Just to share you some experiences: I went to Egypt around this time last year and I have tried various local tours, and "Aswan Individual" was one of them. I got some good recommendations of AI from fellows of this forum before and decided to try it out. Because of time constraints I only booked a felucca nile cruise + fishing + supper with Aswan Individual.

Ok, I got the whole felucca for myself because I travelled alone. Mustafa was a good captain and a good guide. His english was surprising good (trust me, I couldn't understand the english of most local guides in Egypt) so I wasn't bored even with just chatting to him during the whole journey.

Then he offered to show me his home and the Nubian village, I also had some authentic Nubian dinner on the boat while I enjoyed the sunset and the mosquitoes soon afterwards. The dinner was sure local because it tasted very differently. But it sure was an experience. But I must say Mustafa wasn't a great fisherman but at least we "tried" fishing in the Nile. As of today I still wonder if there are really fishes in the Nile. (I hope Mustafa has really improved his fishing skill by now)

Yes, the price for booking through Aswan Individual is not cheap compared to those locals who offer you a felucca cruise on the streets of Aswan. But I had spent over 10+ hours to travel from HK to Egypt and I wanted to have a good time there... I have heard of many stories before where the captain will stop the felucca in the middle of the Nile and raised his fee or wasted your time and spoiled your mood..

Enough said, u can check out my pics in http://www.fotop.net/vipro/EgyptFelucca and see for yourself if you like the style.

france
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
25 helpful votes
14. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

Hello Quebec and Vince HK!

Thanks for sharing your experiences with AI...i'm assured now! I've been corresponding with Petra and i've got resonses right away. I will surely use their services...I can't wait for our in Egypt!

Davao

Edinburgh, U.K
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
2 helpful votes
15. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

Hi Davao,

Our experience of Aswan Individual was good. We spent about 6 hours with Mustafa sailing on the felucca, visiting sites and going to his home in the Nubian village. We asked him to drop us off at the Temples of the Nobles and the botanical gardens, both worth visiting. We also sailed to the First Cataract. His brother and cousin also joined us for the trip.

You could probably get a felucca trip for a little less than they charge, but it was worth travelling with Mustafa as he is so keen to show you his family home and Nubian life, which was very interesting.

Unfortunately both me and my boyfriend fell ill the next day. We cannot say for definite what caused our illness, but we did drink some tea on the felucca. We don't know where the water came from, but if it was from the Nile this could have caused our illness. According to our guide book the water should be boiled for 10 minutes to prevent illness. However, we're not pointing pointing the finger of blame at the tea as our stomach upset could just have easily stemmed from the meal we had that night at the Panorama restaurant, we simply don't know.

We met Waleed two days later as he organised a last minute cruise for us. This worked out extremely well. The cruise boat was managed by Thomas Cook so it was of a high standard and the cost was very low. He managed to find us the cruise during the Easter weekend so I feel Waleed can be relied on and have no hesitiation in promoting him! Also, the manager of Thomas Cook, Egypt, spoke to us and sang Waleed's praise saying what a good man he is, etc.

Have a good trip and if you have any further questions don't hesitate to contact me.

16. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:51 pm, May 25, 2008
france
Level Contributor
125 posts
8 reviews
25 helpful votes
17. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

Thanks a lot Heather, for sharing your experience with AI.

Davao

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
65 helpful votes
18. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

As per my post yesterday, I would recommend this company 100%

Asbolutely amazingly helpful.

penzance
Level Contributor
32 posts
19. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

hi daveo

i guess youve done your trip now,im going to luxor and aswan on a cruise but havnt booked any excursions as they dont cover all the things i want to see.how did you get on with aswan individual,and have you any tips/advice.

thanks

pzpete

ENGLAND
Level Contributor
207 posts
12 reviews
65 helpful votes
20. Re: Has anybody had an experience with "Aswan Individual"

pzpete

Petra from Aswan-Individual can be contacted on

info@aswan-individual.com

Petra & Waleed are amazingly friendly and helpful and go that extra 100% to help in any way they can. I would recommend them without hesitation.

Bex