We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nile Cruise or Luxor

merseyside
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Nile Cruise or Luxor

Which is the best option for a first visit to this area,in fact first time in Egypt,we will only be able to have a week away due to work commitments.

Nile Cruise or stay in Luxor for the week and book excursions to visit all the major sites.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,282 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

These are two completely different options. On a cruise, you can see very little of Egyptian life, though you do see some historical sites that you can't get to from the cities.

You don't say when this would happen. I'm not sure I would want to do a cruise either in winter or summer - too cold or too hot.

In Luxor, you can experience the local environment a lot more and also see tons of historical things.

I'd go for Luxor UNLESS you have always wanted to do a cruise and know the time of year will be good.

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

I disagree verity, A cruise is a perfect way for a first visit to Egypt, and you see plenty. Have you actually done a cruise on the Nile?

dizzy It depends on what you want to see ...I have cruised the Nile 8 times, and i highly recommend it. I think its a fab way to see the major sites in Egypt, from Luxor to Aswan or vice versa ..especially for first timers. Luxor is also a wonderful place, its my favourite, but as i said, i think a cruise is perfect for a first time visit, and with only a week to spare,you will get to visit all the sites,from the boat...and you wont have to bother about trying to organise it yourself.

Jan

merseyside
Level Contributor
7,979 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

I think it will depend on personal preference. I haven't done a Nile cruise but I certainly wouldn't dismiss it. I would think the cruise would be a very relaxing way of getting from A to B with regards to the sites. Read some of the posts on here about people's experience..might help you more.

I have stayed in Luxor a few times and love it so I could be biased BUT I will stop myself! I know that some people are shocked when they first come to Luxor. It can be very much in your face , dirty , busy and crazy....but I would return in a heartbeat ;-)

Nottingham
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

KAZL...Like you, I adore Luxor...I just love staying there, going to spend 2 weeks there in June next year,and cant wait.

Jan

xx

merseyside
Level Contributor
85 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Hi, forgot to mention it will be February we will be taking our holiday.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,282 posts
278 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Well, there you are, opinions vary and I am sure you will enjoy whatever you choose.

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Hi There

If I may add my tuppence worth here.

I've been to Egypt twice. The first was 3 yrs ago a week in Sharm el Sheikh and we did a two day excursion up to Cairo for the Museum, Pyramids and Sphinx as well as Saqqara.

The second time was a Nile cruise in February this year. If you really want to see the major sights Karnak, Valley of the Kings, Hatshepsut's temple, Philae Aswan etc then in my humble opinion a cruise cannot be beaten as all the excursions are standard. The only optional is Abu Simbel.

Personally I reckon that everyone should do one. Egypt is a delightful place that should be visited or more than one occasion.

Whatever you do you'll have a good time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Hi I agree with the previous post I have been to Egypt many times and Luxor 3 times. The 2nd time was the Nile cruise and we saw so much and had a great time. The afternoons were spent sailing along the Nile watching the world go by and waving to the children. I have just returned from Sharm and taken my friend to Egypt for the 1st time. We flew to Luxor for a long weekend. She was not very keen on the streets of Luxor itself but loved the places we visited - Valley of the Kings and Queens, Karnak etc and she also loved the day cruise we took to Dendera and said if she came back then it would be to do the Nile cruise and visit as many temples that the cruise offered. Most of the excursions that you do in Luxor are incorporated with the cruise anyway.

London, England
Level Contributor
128 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Yeah agree absolutely.

As a matter of interest while on the cruise I kept a diary over the week of all the things we did for a relative who was due to be doing a cruise later in the year. If you'd let me have your e-mail address I'd be glad to send it to you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,863 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Nile Cruise or Luxor

Hi Brufy - what a great idea - maybe the ' diary ' could be used as a review on TA??