We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 spare day in Giza

sydney
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
1 spare day in Giza

Hi guys,

We are going to the magical egypt tour with John Anthony West for 2 weeks but there has been a slight change and we are now arriving 1 day before the trip starts. John will be covering most of places that we want to go anyways, but I was thinking of doing easy day trip in Giza area if there is any. I am not sure how safe it is to go into the city though with all the protesting.

Any ideas on what to do? We will be staying at Mena House.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Giza
Giza
Giza Governorate, Egypt
Marriott Mena House, Cairo
Marriott Mena House...
1,860 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,853 posts
263 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 spare day in Giza

If your tour does not go to Sakkara then you should do that. There are also other pyramids in the pyramid field that you could see.

Or you could have a day trip to Alexandria.

If you are flying in from Sydney you will need the time to recover from jet lag..

This sounds like a personal tour....why not ask John?

Mentioned in this post
Alexandria
Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Ulaanbaatar...
Destination Expert
for Cairo
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 spare day in Giza

Cairo is safe for tourists; even when there is violence it is extremely limited in area and easy to avoid.

Might consider going to Al Azhar park or doing a felucca on the river.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
6,019 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 spare day in Giza

Consult the itinerary of your tour to see if any of the sites that interest you particularly are excluded or dealt with cursorily.

Extra time at the Antiquities museum or exploring Saqqara is never wasted, there is so much to appreciate.

How about the Sound and Light show in the evening?

sydney
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 spare day in Giza

Thanks everybody :)

I asked John and did my own research yesterday. Good to know that it is pretty safe place.

I have more researches to do but think I have pretty good idea now.

Arriving in Cairo on 20th and we pretty much have full day free on 21st before the actual John's trip starts from 22 nd!

Counting starts now.. 18 days to go!!

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
5. Re: 1 spare day in Giza

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, March 02, 2014