We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mena House no longer an Oberoi

Which Giza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
Mena House no longer an Oberoi

Thought you might be interested that there is no active web site for the hotel yet.

The contract between the owners and Oberoi came to an end on December 31st and the hotel has been removed from their web site.

More worrying is that Wikipedia says that it is closed! I don't think that is true and I'm waiting a reply from management.

I'll update this post when I find out what's happening.

Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
256 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

I think it is just that the Egoth hasn't found another partner as yet.

Unfortunately our budget didn't allow us to stay there in December, but we did pop in for drinks and a most marvellous meal there and were shown around the suites used by Churchill and Field Marshal Montgomery. Absolutely fabulous hotel.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

My Favourite Hotel there

Thks for keeping us informed.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,862 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

Thanks for the update Rowz:)

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

Thanks for the update...I'm due there in mid February.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

The Mena House (Palace section) needed a major facelift and I think the plan was to refurbish the hotel and turn it into another exclusive and legendary hotel like the Old Cataract in Aswan. However due to the bad situation with the tourism industry in Egypt, that plan was put on hold.

CHEERS

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,087 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

When we last stayed there, we certainly had a conversation with '?' (A manager?) that their plans were to make the Palace section, exclusive, with it's own pool etc. and that was around 4 yrs ago

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

Well, if I don't get a reply I'll just have to go then!

(I'll be there in two weeks LOL)

Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

I'm sure it's open...booking.com shows the hotel as available, albeit retitled as " the mena house hotel (formerly the mena house oberoi)"

sacramento, ca
Level Contributor
39 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

The following now appears at the Mena House Oberoi web site:

Announcement

The term of the Management Agreement between The Oberoi Group and EGOTH, the owner of Mena House Oberoi, has expired on 31st December, 2012. The Oberoi Group is not managing Mena House, Cairo with effect from 1st January, 2013. The name “Oberoi” is not a part of the name of the hotel as from 1st January, 2013.

Much is not known yet, although on other web sites it is postulated that the low occupancy rate has caused a significant reduction in earnings or EGOTH has not paid Oberoi regularly. EGOTH is now the management company as noted on its web site. EGOTH is the Egyptian General Co. For Tourism and Hotels. It owns a number of historic hotels in Egypt and contracts with companies such as Oberoi and Marriot to run the hotels. The Moghul restaurant at Mena House has Indian food and one wonders what happens now that the Indian Oberoi management company no longer operates the hotel?

I cannot see EGOTH as a luxury hotel management company. What now are the implications for Mena House? Does it have sufficient cash flow to operate as a luxury company?

Little information is available. It will be important to have reviewers of Mena House report of their experiences after January 1, 2013. It maybe OK initially but...

I am to be there is April so I have concerns.

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
1,052 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mena House no longer an Oberoi

I would be interested to see these 'other web sites' that you refer to.

As I have a booking in a week or so I have naturally been searching for information, but found nothing other than the announcement I started this thread with.

There have been reviews since the removal of Oberoi from the name and they seem as usual. Also, I am unconcerned about EGOTH as they are responsible for ALL the historical hotels, eg the Winter Palace in Luxor and the Old Cataract in Aswan. They don't seem to be doing too badly!