We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in Eygpt

Faridabad
Level Contributor
71 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
safety in Eygpt

Hi All,

i am planning to visit Cairo and other cities of Eygpt in october 2012. There was upheaval in the recent past with riots etc in the country. How is the situation now ? is it safe to travel and has any of you travelled in the recent past ?

ALSO.................. if you can help me on :

1. A good hotel in Cairo

2. Which other cities are worth a visit and how to reach there ?

3. Any precautions to be taken while in Eygpt ?

thanking you in advance.

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
12,330 posts
251 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: safety in Eygpt

You really need to do your own research. Get a decdent guidebook and read it carefully. The major tourist centres are Cairo, Luxor and Aswan for sightseeing and the various Red SEa resorts for beach holidays. Read all the tips on the right of each forum and read recent posts on the forums too. Post more detailed questions on the relevant forum for each centre.

The Mena House is the best hotel in Cairo IMO.

Lancaster, United...
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: safety in Eygpt

Four o.a.p. travelling 7 day nile cruise 7 day hurghda how safeis it ? transfers by private taxi ?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: safety in Eygpt

We just returned from our first trip to Egypt, we were there when the Oct12 protests happened. Because we were traveling with an Egyptian Tour Agency (Ramses) we were really, really secure. They routed us to all the marvelous sites at the right times to avoid any hassle.

I would, though, worry about sanitation and keep hand sanitizers with you and do use them ---all the people on our ship's Nile River Cruise got really sick and had to be quarantined aboard. No Fun.

Egypt is the dirtiest place we have ever been to, no garbage pickup or landfills, I guess, it's all in the streets. And the air is dusty--very dusty. Next time, I will take a nasal wash and use it each nite...I got a sinus infection there that turned into a cold.

The Mena Oberon Hotel is so Great you will want to stay indoors there as long as you can! We had a view of a Pyramid right from our room, it was magical. The sound and light show at Giza is very good.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: safety in Eygpt

Egypt is the dirtiest place we have ever been to...”

High praise indeed. I’m surprised your tour company hasn't asked to quote you in their brochures.

West Country
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: safety in Eygpt

If you think Egypts dirty I suggest you don't visit certain parts of India.

What boat was everyone sick on ?.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: safety in Eygpt

SHERRYF381

“...all the people on our ship's Nile River Cruise got really sick and had to be quarantined aboard.”

After rereading your post, I can but second SWmuse’s request. The words “quarantined aboard” suggest the outbreak of a virulent and contagious disease threatening a wider epidemic if not immediately contained on the ship. This would not be a case of ‘tummy trouble’, Tut’s revenge or even serious food poisoning but rather a major incident that cries out for detail.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: safety in Eygpt

The tour the people on our ship took was a cruise down the Nile...and when they came down with intestinal problems, they were obviously kept from spreading it to the rest of us on our ship; the usual way of keeping it from spreading is to keep the sick people in their cabins (obviously they felt like staying near their toilets anyway).

I used the word "quarantined" because I think that would be the proper term, not because anyone told me that was the case. Don't mean to overstate things, but as you all know, contagious illnesses are devastating to a cruise line and they don't take it lightly.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: safety in Eygpt

Our tour company is not responsible for the lack of sanitation in their country.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,735 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: safety in Eygpt

SHERRYF381

“...they came down with intestinal problems...”

Sounds like a bit of Tut’s revenge, not an outbreak of the plague.

“Our tour company is not responsible for the lack of sanitation in their country.”

Perhaps not but “intestinal problems” arise for a number of reasons including tainted food and your tour company is or at least should be concerned with the quality of general sanitation on the cruise ships they deal with.

Edited: 12:31 am, November 11, 2012
Cairo, Egypt
Level Contributor
2 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: safety in Eygpt

BBeckett: first of all I am sorry to hear that your cruise was not a good one and to hear about the intestinal problems, but I may recommend to you to travel next time from Cairo to Luxor with a sleeping train and from luxor to Aswan with regular train and if you want a Nile cruise it can be arranged in Aswan with a felluca ((tradition small boat)) If you are interested in further details for this felluca i had a friend who just made this idea and he enjoyed it very much so just hit me back if you want more details :)

and for the dirty and clean issue, well of course we have some unclean areas and we have a clean areas depends where have you stayed? because it makes all the difference...