We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

Which Giza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Topic
Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

Hi. It may seem an obvious question, but the website is a bit vague.

can anyone tell me if the sound and light show is on every day?

i will be arriving late on the 22nd March, at about midnight, so I wont have time to enjoy it.

but i would really like to get a hotel next to the pyramids, and watch them illuminated from the distance, away from the cheesy but cool narratives, and annoying tourists.

so my questions are:

will there be a light show on Friday 23rd?

and

what are my options for a nice hotel with a view of the lightshow. maybe something with a rooftop restaurant?

cheers!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

For the timetable see here soundandlight.com.eg/Shows/…Timetable.aspx

Re becoming Scottish (like myself) and not paying it certainly depends on what hotel you are in.

The sides of the pyramids not being used for the S&L show are in darkness as in this photo from the Mena House during a show …webshots.com/662/3/64/35/220536435004686768… - tweaked a bit in P/shop it is one of many in their various folders at http://community.webshots.com/user/elaref

So you would need to have a hotel to the East of the sphynx, with a view to the West

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

The 1st photo link says NO, even to me, so look here …webshots.com/photo/2205364350046867689xZtRwY and press the full-size button at top right!

Edited: 5:03 pm, March 03, 2012
Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

thanks for the tips!

how about the Sphinx Guest House? that's East, looking West.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

Sorry - the Mena House is one of my favourite hotels (Location, location, location!), so don't consider anywhere else nowadays.

Have you tried to contact them yourself and ask?

Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

Yeah, I have seen the Mena House, and I think the Garden Palace? is quite high on the list of recommendations.

I am on a bit of a tight budget for the first few days of my trip. but it is my birthday on the 23rd, so i dont mind spending a bit to wake up to a nice view. i will only be in cairo for the 22nd / 23rd nights anyway.

after that, once i get to Dahab i can start being a bit more budget conscious.

i get my salary paid to my bank around about the end of the month, so i will be having a blow out once that arrives!!

Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

hmmm.

$44O USD for 2 nights at Mena House.

I can't stretch that far, unfortunatley.

Half that, and i'm sold!

any other suggestions? I am looking on all the sites for Giza at the moment, but recomendations are much appreciated!

Save Reply
7. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

Dear friend, the Museum normally works from 9 am to 7 pm. But since a week ago they open from 9am to 5 pm. About the camera you can take it with you to take photos for the master pieces exhibited in the Museum's Garden but you can't go inside with the camera so you can leave it in the room dedicated for that to the left of the entrance. It is free of charge to keep your camera there. Also you can hire a professional Tour guide to accompany you inside. You will find some of them waiting in the garden holding there license cards. For any inquiries you can contact me at: tuyoabdo@yahoo.com

Edited: 6:10 pm, March 04, 2012
Save Reply
8. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

I think that Mena House Hotel may be cheaper than this price.

Edited: 6:12 pm, March 04, 2012
Singapore
Level Contributor
45 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

found a cheap(ish) one in a nice location. cheers, forum!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
254 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Giza Sound and Light Show: is it on every day?

I have been quoted 35 euros per person for the light show - is it possible to just walk out of the hotel and see some of this without the 70euros(per 2 people) charge?

Also re. Mena House Hotel: - is it within walking distance of the pyramids? In other words, do we need a tour or can we just walk there, pay the entrance price (I believe around $10 per person) and look around ourselves?

Thanks.