We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

Brooklyn, NY
Level Contributor
134 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

Hello,

My boyfriend and I will be visiting Cairo next month. We checked with our hotel to see if they offer tours to the Pyramids, but all of them are private and thus cost about $90+ which is steep. I understand I can simply take a taxi, but I admit I am a little intimidated by this idea based on horror stories I've heard of people getting ripped off.

Can anyone recommend a company that offers affordable group tours? Even just transport to Pyramids/Sphinx, then to Memphis/Sakkara would be great (I don't need a guide).

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Sphinx Guest House
Sphinx Guest House
84 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Memphis Tours
Memphis Tours
5,699 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
UK
Level Contributor
598 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

If you don't need a guide, I can highly recommend booking a cab with the Blue Cabs company for the day. The cost is 40LE per hour for the first six hours then 20LE per hour after that. So a nine-hour hire would only cost around $50 (plus tip). They are reliable and safe, and the driver will wait for you at each site.

You can book them in advance with an email - see http://www.thebluecab.com/.

ETA If I were you I'd skip Memphis and visit Dahshur instead.

Edited: 3:48 am, February 13, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Memphis Tours
Memphis Tours
5,699 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Dahshur
Dahshur
648 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
2. Re: Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, January 21, 2013
Edited: 11:35 am, January 21, 2013
Fullerton...
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

Hi

Can I call on your experience?

We are planning our Egypt tour, since we are starting our cruise in Istanbul we are skipping the Mosques and Citadel, i think we'll get enough mosques there. Not really interested in the sound and light show or Nile dinner cruise, we would rather visit the Bazaar at night and do some local dining and looking around. Can you recommend a hotel used by the tour companies in town and is doing the bazaar at night OK? we are very well traveled, both by cruise and land and know how to handle ourselves very well.

Thanks in advance!

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
4. Re: Cheap group day tours to Pyramids, Sphnix, Memphis, Sakkara?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, January 23, 2014
;