We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

Torrance, California
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

We plan on hiring a guide for 2 days while in Cairo. We are considering going alone one evening to the Sound and Light Show, but was wondering if it's worthwhile since the guide will likely provide much more information during the day?

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Sound and Light Show
Sound and Light Show
1,206 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Central Coast, NSW
Level Contributor
67 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

Depends a bit on where you are staying. We just got the Hotel to organise our trip to the Sound and Light Show, and we got front row seats, our friends who did hte tour got to sit at the back. You basically arrive, sit there, watch the show and go home, our driver from the hotel was waiting for us at the end, so it is very easy to do.

Mentioned in this post
Sound and Light Show
Sound and Light Show
1,206 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Torrance, California
Level Contributor
180 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

Was the show entertaining? Learn anything different than the tour guide provided?

Toronto
Level Contributor
690 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

Sound and Light shows are tourist traps.

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

IMHO, the Sound & Light is not worth it. But here's an alternative based on my experience. I was staying at Mena House (Palace section) with a closeup view of Khafre's Pyramid from my room. One morning I woke up early & went out onto the patio while it was still dark. As the sun rose, I watched The Pyramid emerge out of the darkness.

Now THAT was a light show!

Mentioned in this post
Marriott Mena House, Cairo
Marriott Mena House...
1,861 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Khafre's Pyramid
Khafre's Pyramid
550 Reviews
Giza, Egypt
Connecticut
Level Contributor
10 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

Our experience was similar to 23aj. They let us sit where ever we wanted, and you could see the whole show no matter where you sat.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

I went last year and thought the Light shows were cheesy. You will be better off learning from the tour guide than the show. In fact, after the first one we canceled our plans for any remaining shows.

7. Re: Sound and light show add any value if hiring a guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, August 26, 2010