We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned fom Egypt

Edmonton,Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned fom Egypt

I have just returned from Egypt after an 18 Day tour. What a wonderful time we had. Did the Nile Crusie, Sleeper train,did the Desert Safari and seen most of the highlites. I am ready to answer any Questions.

Zimmerboy

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
343 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned fom Egypt

Hi Zimmerboy,

Glad you had a great trip. Did you go from Canada -Egypt with a pre-booked package tour from home or did you just book everything yourselves.

1. If you did it yourselves was it easy .

2. If you booked a whole package from your local travel agent before you went could you of done it cheaper yourselves do you think. As for the whole thing from Perth for hotel ,cruise, airfare/sleeper train ( in Egypt only ) and tours (limited) it costs about $2500 AUD for 10 days 5* plus airfare from Perth return about $2000 AUD with a stop over in Dubai.

So I guess my question is - do you save much ($) by doing it yourselves and do you get as much out of it.

Sorry hope you can understand the questions

Thanks

Pauline

Edmonton,Canada
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned fom Egypt

Hello Pauline,

I booked everything from Canada. As I had gone during Christmas and New Year, and if you do not book all your hotels and Cruise and Sleeper trains before, it could get very difficult to book there.

As for prices, I don't think it would be cheaper, if you booked on your own,as the tour operators get a better rate than we would get. Plus you would be wasting a lot of time looking for tour guides.

Zimmerboy

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
133 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned fom Egypt

Hi Zimmerboy,

we are planning to go Egypt in June 2007 so now it is research time :)

Wondering if you could tell us first hand:

1) how was the weather?

2) how was the people?

3) Was it too touristy?

4) Was the trip physically Challenging?

5) How much did you spent all together?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance

Jac

Calcutta
Level Contributor
284 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned fom Egypt

I am also just back from a trip to Egypt - came back on Dec 30. I did some of the booking myself and some ( like Nile Cruise, Sleeper Trains, Aswan hotel) thru travco. I think going thru travel agents is simpler and cheaper.

Some comments on my trip

1. People : I went to Cairo, Alexandria, Aswan, Luxor and Abu Simbel. I found the people friendly and well behaved - overall felt comfortable. What impressed me were the behaviour of the young people - havent seen a more well behaved, pleasant lot anywhere else including my own country ( India).

2. Bargaining: This can be fun as well as a problem. I have bought 1.5Litres Aquafina bottles for as little as LE1.5 and as high as LE10. Depends on where you feel thirsty and how good you are at bargaining. I got myself used to starting the bargain at 1/10th the quoted price.

3. At Egypt airport on arrival I couldnt find any cabbies and overpaid for a limo. I would suggest that you have a pickup arranged. I stayed at a hotel in Zamalek and the hotel was charging LE65.

4. Tips - everyone seems to be asking for tips. So, you need to be prepared for that. During my 11nights and 12days I couldnt figure out what is the tipping standard - but I paid LE10 per person per night for the Cruise staff, LE50 to the guide for 2 days.

5. Guide: Absolutely essential. There is no point in cutting corners here. You need a guide to explain everything. Even in Cairo museum you should take the help of a guide. Near the queue for the ticket, there were quite a few of them. I struck a deal with a friendly gentleman who charged me LE50 for 2 hours.

6. Tomb of Tutankhamen: There is an extra LE50 per person to be paid for the trip. The standard ticket for Valley of Kings do not cover this tomb. But I think it is well worth spending the extra.

7. Museum: Should you want to see the Mummies, you need to pay LE100 extra ( over the standard ticket).

8. Abu Simbel: Do make the trip even if it costs more to go and come back. We did this in half a day - flying from Aswan and back.

5. Re: Just returned fom Egypt

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 pm, August 25, 2009