We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camel Market

tucson az
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Camel Market

We are currently in Cairo and would like to visit the Camel Market Fri. We can't find a tour co to take us, does anyone know who would take us, or how to get there?

london
Destination Expert
for Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
13,279 posts
276 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Camel Market

I don't know where it is, but when you find out, why not just get a taxi to take you there and wait? I'm sure you won't want to stay long. I've been to the camel market near Aswan, and they look lovely all clean and with ribbons, four of them sitting down with necks swaying picturesequely in the back of a pickup truck on the way there, but once you get there they have one leg tied up to stop them running away and there is a lot of braying. It doesn't seem so nice then.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Camel Market

If you are an animal lover or are taking children, I would not recommend it. The camels are hobbled as Verity has said and are hit with sticks to keep them in line or encourage them to "run" if the buyer wants to see them in action. You may even see some dead animals.

It is about 35km from Cairo at Birqash, if you ask at your hotel they can arrange a driver to take you.

tucson az
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Camel Market

Thank you

Wooster, Ohio
Level Contributor
19 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Camel Market

call egypt tailor made tours, they took us last week! good luck!

United States
Level Contributor
10,149 posts
272 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Camel Market

from what I have heard including some of the comments above as well as guides discouraging our going there when we were there last time...it sounds really awful and not something that is worth going to see...in fact it sounds depressing.

usa
Level Contributor
65 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Camel Market

I think it's not allowed for foreigner to visit Camel Markets nowadays

7. Re: Camel Market

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2017