We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Hello all,

I need some urgent questions answered.

I am planning a last minute 10 day trip to Egypt in the last week of December and have some urgent questions I need answers to.

I have a US Green Card but I am sure I will still need a Visa, right?

1)So do I need to go to the Egyptian counsellate in Washington DC to get a visa (since it is 10 days trip) or can I get the visa at the Cairo airport?

2) How do I go from Cairo to Aswan (and I believe there is another city as well) for the cruise on the Nile. Is there a train that goes from Cairo to Aswan or do I have to take a flight. How about the other city where the cruise leaves from?

3) How much will the train cost , how do I book it and how long will it take? (3 questions). Do I have to book in advance or can I book it when I am in Cairo? Is there a lot of rush at this time of the year?

4) How much does the flight cost and where do I book it?

5) Does the cruise includes sleeping accomodations - or do we have to book a hotel as well? Where do we sleep while on the cruise?

6) How many days/nights is the cruise?

7) How much is the cruise?

8) How will the weather be at the end of December?

I will be eternally indebted if someone can give me these answers ASAP so I can book it

Thanks in advance

Memphis Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips, Historical & Heritage Tours, Cultural Tours
Egypt Tailor Made Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Multi-day Tours, Private Tours, Photography Tours, Day Trips
Emo Tours Egypt
City Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips, Sightseeing Tours, Other Outdoor Activities
Ramasside Tours
Multi-day Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Hi Lordof travel

first i wish for you a great trip in our country

here to answer your question

1) EVERY visitor to egypt even american nationality holders they must get a visa, easly to get upon arrival at airport, see this link of my previous post, as same procedures is to be done in ALL airports in egypt

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297549-i9198-k887…

2) you must first decide if you will take a 3 night cruise or 4 night cruise, the 3 nights cruise start from Aswan down to Luxor, while the 4 nights cruise start from Luxor upriver to Aswan, i personally recomend the 3 nights one, to go from Cairo to either luxor or aswan there are many ways

a) by train , it can be seated , which i do not advise as it is very very tiring and do not worth

b) sleeping train, which is very very good ,and it cost 60 US dollars per way per person in a double room, price for a single room i think is about 100 US dollars more or less, it include dinner and breakfast, very clean cabins and it is very comfortable

FLIGHTS are more expensive, price can be around 120 up to 160 US dollars depend on availability of different classes in the plane

3) i said about cost of train before, regarding booking you MUST book either plane of train in advance, now the flights near to the new year eve are FULLY BOOKED and you have to be in waiting list, try to find a way to book in advance a sleeping train, it is very veyr high season

Duration of travel by plane around 1 hour while by train is to aswan 12 hours while to Luxor is 9 hours, this is why mainly i advised you sleeping train as you will sleep and not feel the long trip

4) i answered before about the flight cost, to book in case you still have chance then contact the nearest office of EGYPT AIR to where you live, i know they have offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York

5) the cruise is a FLOATIN HOTEL , so you will have a cabin , with toilet and shower, also there is a restaurant for meals , bar for drinking, it is a complete hotel in its self, do not worry

6) i answered about how many nights before, as i said either 3 nights or 4 nights trip

or may be you join both and take 7 nights trip, it is all depend on you and your budget

7) this is veyr difficult question , i cant fix you rate, as there are many many standereds of cruises, there is 4 stars (avoid it completely) and there is 5 stars (is good with a rate around 60 US per night per person) there is 5 de Lux ( can be around 80 US per person per night more or less) and there is 5 suerior , can go much much higer till your dreams can reach :)

all prices mentioend do not include sightseeings, it is just an accomodation, this is due to the high season in which you are coming

8) weather is cold , temperature you can check on Yahoo weather, you will find it there, but you must get some worm clothes especially for going out at night

wish you wonderful trip , do not forget to give a report, pls feel free to contact me any time and ask whatever you want

have a great trip

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

I have a US Green Card but I am sure I will still need a Visa, right?

YES

1)So do I need to go to the Egyptian counsellate in Washington DC to get a visa (since it is 10 days trip) or can I get the visa at the Cairo airport?

CAIRO AIRPORT - EASIER AND CHEAPER

2) How do I go from Cairo to Aswan (and I believe there is another city as well) for the cruise on the Nile. Is there a train that goes from Cairo to Aswan or do I have to take a flight. How about the other city where the cruise leaves from?

PERSONALLY I WOULD TAKE THE TRAIN AND NOT FLY. USE THE NIGHT FOR TRAVELLING LEAVING THE DAY FOR TOURING THE SITES.

SEE ; http://www.sleepingtrains.com

ALL INFO IS THERE

3) How much will the train cost , how do I book it and how long will it take? (3 questions). Do I have to book in advance or can I book it when I am in Cairo? Is there a lot of rush at this time of the year?

SEE ABOVE... LAST WEEK DECEMBER COULD BE PRETTY BUSY

4) How much does the flight cost and where do I book it?

ONLY WITH EGYPT AIR.... IF YOU ARE FLYING WITH EGYPT AIR TO EGYPT YOU COULD GET A THROUGH FARE - CHECK WITH THE NEAREST EGYPT AIR OFFICE IN THE US. IF NOT YOU COULD BUY YOUR TICKETS HERE WHEN YOU ARRIVE ( AT THE AIRPORT TO SAVE TIME ).

5) Does the cruise includes sleeping accomodations - or do we have to book a hotel as well? Where do we sleep while on the cruise?

YES... ON BEDS IN CABINS

6) How many days/nights is the cruise?

3 - 4

7) How much is the cruise?

MANY DIFFERENT PRICES

8) How will the weather be at the end of December?

COOL AT NIGHT, SUNNY, CLEAR AND MODERATELY WARM DURING DAY

Sydney
Level Contributor
887 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Lord of travel

I did the trip you are thinking of last November/December. I was with a small group from Australia (14) and we travelled by train from Giza (Cairo) down to Luxor overnight in a sleeping compartment. Pretty good although the meals are ghastly, so be prepared and pack a little meal or eat beforehand for dinner, and then have breakfast on arrival. I loved the train trip as I sat in my private compartment with the light off so that I could look out through the window easily in the early night - wonderful! I slept quite well in my bunk.

On arrival at Luxor we went to our hotel, checked in and then spent time going to the Valley of the Kings and other places. When we boarded our boat, the Nile Jewel, we set off down the Nile to Edfu and Komombo where we stopped and had excursions. We then continued on to Aswan where we spent a day or so.

The Nile ferry trip was fantastic - lazy but interesting to watch the landscape and people pass by. You view the fertile, but narrow, influence the Nile has on the land, people fishing, children swimming... Brilliant! Won't tell you too much but you will agree with me when you go yourself, I am sure.

In Aswan, try and go for a sail on a felucca for a few hours. You could bargain with one of the boat owners to take you out. But, don't forget your hat, sunglasses and suncream. It was much hotter down the Nile than it had been in Cairo, but I was there a month or so earlier than you. The Valley of the Kings was really hot!

I don't know whether you are male or female, but dress appropriately. It is a Muslim country and they do not like bare areas of the body. Just use your sense and do not wear midriffs or singlet tops. Anyway, it saves you getting sunburnt.

Also be careful of the water - drink only bottled water, no unpeeled fruit. And, as I tell everyone, try and get a product called AQUIM with which to wash your hands lots of lots of times daily. You do not need water with it. I was the only one of our group who did not get sick, but I was careful. Several of our group also got sunstroke particularly in the Valley of the Kings. All you need is a hat, sunglasses and suncream. Keep yourself hydrated with frequent drinks of water, and possibly one of those misting sprays. However, it might not be too hot when you go.

Hope I haven't gone on too much. Just think it is better to be prepared. You will love Egypt. I am almost envious while writing this now. Write back if you need further info.

Vikki

Have a great time.

Sterling, Virginia
Level Contributor
379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Vikki,

Thanks so much for your detailed description of your trip - it was most informative and greatly appreciated - but could you please specifically answer my questions below?

Where do I get the train tickets, how much etc.

I would be eternally greatful if you could

thx

Sydney
Level Contributor
887 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

Lord, sorry but I cannot answer those questions. Peregrine Adventure Travel, with whom I travelled, had the tickets for us as part of our package. Therefore I do not know where they purchased them or for how much. I don't think they were terribly expensive as the whole trip was not "top end".

Darsh who is the resident expert on Egypt and Cairo - do you know this information for Lord???

6. Re: URGENT : Help needed on Egypt tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 pm, August 16, 2009