We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

NH
10 posts
Save Topic
downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Now I have the choice to stay in a downtown 3* or Giza 4*. I would like to spend some free time in downtown but I don't know whether I should just stay in the Giza 4* hotel and take a taxi when I want to go out.

The downtown 3* I'm talking about is Victoria Hotel, is it within the walking distance from Khan el-Khalili market? Should I take here instead of an soso 4* hotel in Giza?

Thank you!

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
280 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

It really depends what activities you want to do. At Giza, you can see the pyramids & that's pretty much it. The taxi ride into Cairo city can be a slow one depending on the time of the day. Work out what you want to do in Cairo & pick your hotel based on this. Also - get the best hotel you can afford - don't scrimp unless you are a well seasoned traveller

NH
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Thank you, spooky-lu! Actually we are going to stay in Cairo for 4 days. For the first two days, we will stay in a hotel (delta pyramids) in Giza. And for the last two days we will have some free time, that's why I'm considering moving to another hotel that is closer to downtown. It seems hotels in downtown usually cost much more, so Victoria Hotel is pretty much what we can afford. But after all it is a budget hotel, I don't know what we should expect. And I want to make sure whether Vic is far from Khan el-Khalili market?

Nuweiba, Egypt
Level Contributor
2,176 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

The Delta is not at the Pyramids but on the road to it. The Victoria is not in walking distance of Khan el Khalili but a short taxi ride away. You could walk it as you could walk to the Pyramids from the Delta. But I would probably base myself the whole time at the Victoria - why waste time changing hotels half way through. And the traffic is slightly better in the morning going to the Pyramids than coming into town from it.

NH
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Thank you, swisssinai! Actually after the first two days' stay, we will go to aswan and luxor and then come back for another two days in Cairo, so changing hotels is not a big problem. I'm aware that Delta Pyramids is not very close to the pyramids, but it seems the pyramids can be seen from their rooms which is cool:). I think I will stay in Delta for the first two days and Victoria for the last two days. Thanks very much for your help:)

London
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Hello there,

I am harry from London in England and plannign to go to Cairo on 19th on the Mummy tour with pack2egypt. I can see you are booked with them as well. have they indicated the hotel you are going to stay and they told me they will collect the payment during check in.Is that the same with you. What dates are you in Cairo ?

Mail me at harris_52@yahoo.com .

NH
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Hi harris_52, I ended up booking the trip with Egypt Online, and will go to Egypt next week. But I was considering pack2egypt before and they did tell me which hotels we would stay and they were willing to make changes to fit me better, actually the hotels they offered are quite nice. Just the price is still less than ideal, and I didn't see many reviews about them. But I did feel Shadi is a nice guy.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

I know hotel Delta Pyramids , its rooms are pretty small ones, i do not know the hotel Victoria, but in center also there is another 3stars hotel like Cairo Khan, i think it is nice hotel, i repeat i dont know Victoria, regarding in Pyramids if you want to upgrade your visit to a very nice 4 stars hotel i recomend Zoser Partners hotel

have a nice trip

NH
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

Thank you The_Egyptian_Guide. I was actually considering Zoser, but the tour company told me they just stopped dealing with Zoser due to some "complaints". I read somewhere Delta Pyramids is not very nice. The reason I chose it is just I like the idea to be able to see pyramids right in my room, and it is the only one within my budget....

Sydney
Level Contributor
884 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

I stayed at the Zoser and while it does not have anything distinctive about it, you can read into that, that it does not have anything negative about it either. I found it more than adequate. It is simply what I would expect from a three star (although I believe it is a four star) hotel.

I stayed there in November last year while with a group from Peregrine travels. They seem to cater for group bookings. Most of our group was from Australia.

Write back if I can be of help.

Vikki

NH
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: downtown 3* or Giza 4*?

studioworks, thank you. Unfortunately I can only choose among the hotels my tour company offers. They used to have Zoser and in fact it is still on their website. But somehow they said they don't book them any more....