We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mena House Oberoi question

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Mena House Oberoi question

Which is the best restaurant for a view of the Pyramids, during the day?

We will be with a guide and a driver, would it be appropriate for them to join us?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

The best view of the pyramids in my opinion, is from the Sultan Bar. Just go into the main entrance lobby of the Mena and it is on your left. You can also get a great view of them from the "Greenery" restaurant near the pool, where they serve the breakfast. I must have taken twenty pictures of them at breakfast the first morning!

Are you staying at the Mena or are you just wanting to have lunch there? As far as inviting your driver and guide to join you, that is your decision, it is not "inappropriate", we felt very comfortable with ours and Ehab joined us (we paid for his meal), the driver declined our invitation.

Hope this helps.

Nefertari

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

It is OK to invite the guide to lunch or dinner if you feel you want to, but for the driver he would be more satisfied if you give him a tip to buy his own lunch or dinner.

I don't know how to explain this without appearing to be another bloody "bourgeois" but drivers would be usually the kind of people who don't fancy hotel restaurants with the knife and fork fine dining over their usual falafel sandwiches or even Kebabs if they have a higher budget in hand, complete with a Shisha and a dark black heavy glass of Egyptian tea. You wouldn't be able to satisfy such needs where you will usually eat.

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

The views from the pool area are spectacular at the Mena. Most brochure pics are taken from the garden wing, overlooking the pool, towards the pyramids. It depends on the driver and guide, regarding a lunch invitation but I agree with Darsh's advice.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

Nefertari & MsTery we'll just be there for the day, running around the pyramids. I saw the Mena House pictures was was absolutely amazed- gotta go see it!

Darsh, thanks for the advice! I was thinking the same, but wanted to be sure.

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
9,937 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

Ah Darsh, so thats why the driver declined our invitation! So Baghag ( feel bad calling u that) I would suggest you try to have lunch at the Greenery Restaurant by the pool (not sure if they have lunch though),seem to remember breakfast and dinner only? but may be wrong. You could e-mail the hotel directly and ask.

Nefertari

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

the restaurant advised in Menahouse is great, and in case you are satisfied with your guide sure you can invite him to share lunch with you it is no prob , i just would like to correct something of Darsh about the driver, they are always shy to eat with clients, they are used to eat in tehir car or even with the fellow drivers so they do not be tight to the clients as most of driver they do not speak good english and they feel bad if they sit and eat and leave without share speach or any thing, but i usually advise that you can give the driver a Lunch Box, sure he will admire this so much from you and will be thankful and he will eat it whenver he can, its not all driver like falafel and want tip instead of food, Darsh is right in most of what he said but in this point i just wanted to clear things, always driver just get SHY to sit with the clients that is all, but sure they will be thankful if you gave them the lunch box so they can eat in car or wherever.

have great time and enjoy your meal

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

I still think it is better to give the driver money rather than worrying about providing lunch boxes especially that these are not always manageable and even if they are manageable they will be a hassle to prepare and to worry about. Well, that is unless you were caught up with the driver somewhere remote where he cannot use the money to buy any food.

And a final comment: I still stick to my analysis regarding why drivers don’t accept tourist invitations and I would rather those who disagree to simply say they disagree and state their other point of view while leaving judgment to the forum readers and not claim they are “clarifying” or “correcting” what I am saying, especially that what I said is not a fact to be “right” or “wrong”, it is just an opinionated analysis. The fact that you don't agree with it doesn't make it a false statement in the need of clarification!

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

Dear Darsh

i dont know why you took my words like that, i did not mean any thing that came to your mind, and if you are so upset of saying calrifying and so on , so i am sorry , i did not mean to correct you , just i was trying to say what i see from my experience dealing with tourist bus drivers, that is all , so i did not comment your post as being worng, or any thing frm what you might understood, and i dont have what to leave for the forum leaders as neither you nor me said something that can hurt any one or against rools, just my friend try to understand, at the end we are all here in the forum trying to help, so i am not againest any one as i am sure you are also the same, wish that you now can understand me.

9. Re: Mena House Oberoi question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, August 22, 2009