We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What clothes do we need in Egypt

Lahaska, Pa, USA
2 posts
Save Topic
What clothes do we need in Egypt

My husband and I will be visiting Egypt by the end of November and if we like it we might stay on to spend Christmas and New Year there. What we would like to know is what kind of clothing should be bring along. Is it cold there? If so how cold? Kindly put us wise we ll be grateful.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

Tina,

I was there in Egypt last year in November/December. It was still quite warm in Cairo - but in Luxor and further south from Cairo it was HOT. When we went to the Valley of the Kings it was particularly hot. I do not know how anyone could tolerate being there in summer time. You will need to take a hat and good sunglasses - and of course sun cream.

A couple of evenings I put a light wrap around my shoulders. But I did not need anything warmer than that.

Basically I wore long lightweight trousers and t shirts during the day and tied a scarf to my handbag in case I visited a mosque. Do not dress in midriffs or shorts - it is not really the way to go. You don't have to be extreme either way - either too covered or not. Just cover your shoulders by wearing an ordinary T shirt and, as I said, no midriffs or anything too revealing.

You will have a wonderful holiday. I could truly go back there tomorrow I enjoyed it so much.

Be careful of water - bottled water only, and no raw or unpeeled food.

Vikki

Mentioned in this post
Valley of the Kings
Valley of the Kings
4,634 Reviews
Luxor, Egypt
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Florida
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

Hi,

I'll be in Cairo later this month and was researching my hotels online. I notice they all have pools. It makes me wonder what is appropriate for a woman to wear while swimming or lounging by the pool?

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

Hi AuntPolly,

Normal swimwear even bikinis are acceptable by the pool in all hotels. Just wear something over swimwear to walk to the pool.

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
for Egypt, Cairo, Luxor, Aswan, Nile River Valley
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

i agree with what studiowear say about the weather in November, just want to add that in cairo it get a bit shilly after sunset, so it will need a jacket or something worm to put on, if you intend to keep till new year then it is COLD in Cairo , it is the real winter in our country, through the day the max it can go is 12 degrees , while at night it will never be below 5 or 6 degrees, in Luxor and aswan it is always nice and worm through the day, but also at night a pullover or jacket is needed espcially in end of december

In cairo it might also RAIN in this period of December/January

regarding the swim wear, you can wear your bathing suit as usual, take your Sunbath , enojoy , as Ibiris say just put on something in the way to the pool and back

enjoy your holiday

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
GLASGOW , SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

im going on the thomsons ship silly question but can i go topless on board the ship and on the beaches or will i get into trouble if i do thanks

UK
Level Contributor
495 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

No you cannot go topless, this is strictly not allowed!

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

To cherylmcc

During the cruise, i do not advise you to go Topless, you will not get in troubles or any thing BUT this is not welcomed by the crew nor by the managers of the boat, the cruise is sailing in UPPER EGYPT, where people are very stucked to their traditions and religion. they will not be comfortble to this, and in most of cases manager will come to ask you to not go Topless on the sundeck, this is i experienced once before in a group and i always advise the people about it

if you are going to sea side like Sharm or Hurgada , then it is ok to do Topless, as there the people are used to this and it is no peob

wish you a nice trip and a great Sun Tan

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Hurghada
Hurghada
Red Sea and Sinai, Egypt
GLASGOW , SCOTLAND
Level Contributor
10 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

Thankssoo much its just i HATE white lines i pull it down as low as it can go lol thanks cheryl xx

Cairo, Egypt
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,210 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

it is normal that you can pull the stringgs down not to get white lines in the shoulders but do not take off the bras, this is acceptable there in the cruise and it is no prob

Enjoy sun tan, try to catch the best of the sun which is from Sun rise till almost 10 am and from 3 pm till sun set

have a nice trip and nice tan :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: What clothes do we need in Egypt

Or, if you are that serious about 'no white lines' - you can buy a swimwear range : Solar Tan Thru - which is self explanatory.