We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Topic
The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

are very good and obviously trying to encourage Americans to return and that Egypt is safe. They have a shot of a couple eating dinner in on a terrace (looks open air about 10-12 stories up) facing what must be one of the larger and more beautiful mosques maybe Sultan Hassan. It is very beautiful and just wondering if you could guess what restaurant that would be...probably in a large hotel? Also if you fly to Luxor on your own and have a hotel booked from the airport to the hotel do you have this "convoy" that you must go in or is that just from city to city. Thanks in advance for the info.

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

Gene,

I haven't seen the advert, so can't comment until I do. Regarding Luxor, you are free to pick up a taxi from the airport. The convoys operate on routes such as Luxor to Aswan. Outside the terminal, you will find a selection of taxis and minibuses. The official rate is around £3, per taxi but if you negotiate anything up to £5, you'll be doing just fine. Minibuses are usually happy to do the journey at the sam rate as taxis. Good luck

Maria

Luxor/UK
Level Contributor
1,581 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

The going rate is more like 40-50LE, 4-5 GBP now for transfer from Luxor airport by taxi. Petrol prices have gone up a little.

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

http://www.toandfromtheairport.com/egypt.html

There is always a bit of confusion over prices from Luxor Airport to town. The above link suggests the ''Official'' price as 30LE...or £3. It was updated on 16 Sept 2006. Oil prices world-wide, have gone down considerably since then. Perhaps this hasn't been reflected in Luxor?

What would be useful for travellers is if someone living in Luxor could obtain the ''official'' taxi price list for members. Alternatively, someone going to Luxor soon could bring back the official rates list, published in hotels.

Personally, I view anything up to 50LE or £5, per cab (including tip) as reasonable, given the luggage involved. Even if you know the official rate, actually getting it can involve a bit of effort, for some. Having a guide is helpful for many tourists.

Maria

Level Contributor
7,898 posts
227 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

I think the view may be of the Citadel? Maybe the Four Seasons NIle Plaza? Whereever it is I want to stay there!!

UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

Ah, the Citadel is indeed seen clearly from rooms at The Four Seasons Nile Plaza, although it is some way away. Front rooms have Nile and Pyramid view rooms (my favourite). Back rooms have spectacular Citadel views which are amazing at night. The restaurants we used at the FSNP all had Nile views but there may be one facing the Citadel which I haven't seen. Why not email the hotel and ask? Reservations are extremely helpful there. One of the local Cairo experts will also know. This hotel is gorgeous, Gene. You won't be disappointed, I hope. Higher view rooms have the best views, although they are a little scary!

Maria

6. Re: The recent Egyptian Tourist Board ads running in the U>S>...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:22 am, August 25, 2009