We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping and Airport Transportation

Australia
10 posts
Save Topic
Shopping and Airport Transportation

Hi Fellow Travellers,

It is my first time in Egypt and I am booked on a 12 intrepid trip following the pharohs trail.

I would like to know the best place to buy gold jewellery and also how difficult it is and how much to pay for transportation at 7:00a.m to our hotel on the Giza plateau.

All advice much appreciated

Excited adventurer

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Sami Amin
Art Galleries, Gift & Specialty Shops
Fair Trade Egypt
Gift & Specialty Shops
Sydney
Level Contributor
890 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping and Airport Transportation

Hi

I am also from Australia. Check that Intrepid is not supplying you with a pick up from the airport, as that is what usually happens.

Re buying jewellery -be careful and haggle. The price is very many times less than what they first ask. I was not looking for jewellery in Egypt but in anything else you needed to haggle. Dubai is perhaps better for this. Are you perhaps stopping there. I will warn you though that the gold there is more orange than here as it is higher content. I personally did not like it. A lot of the styles were a bit over the top.

Write if you need more info. Darsh is the local expert on this forum may know more info.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping and Airport Transportation

You can arrange a transfer from the Airport with one of those two companies, or take a black and white cab from the airport for 60 LE. You will need to agree with the driver on the price before the ride

http://cairotaxi.com/

or:

http://www.thebluecab.com/

As for buying gold, you should go to City Stars Mall. On the third floor there is a section called the New Khan El Khalili with many shops where you should find good stuff. Shop around before you buy.

If your time was limited since the trip to City tars is a long one from your hotel, go to First Mall in Giza, shops are fewer but you should find what you need there.

egypt
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping and Airport Transportation

hey!

khan elkhalili is the cheapest one..

you are more than welcome:D

ciao,

amoon_kafrawy@yahoo.com

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping and Airport Transportation

The Khan could be cheap but you can get fake gold there. So, if you want to use it you will need a shop that somebody knows and tells you about. Don't just enter any shop.

5. Re: Shopping and Airport Transportation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:16 am, August 15, 2009