We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Hi all,

Query about the Grand Egyptian Museum- if there is anyone out there whom works with the GEM, or Egyptian tourism with some insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Being Egypt I know that you cant rely on dates, however I will be heading over for my 3rd visit! (cant wait) in November (1st week) and was hoping to know if they are still on track for opening this year...

when I was in Egypt in Aug 2013, the estimated opening was June 2015... I'm assuming this may have been pushed back due to lack of tourism etc.

Is there any press release, update etc to advise how they are tracking? The GEM website doesn't seem to provide this information.

Thankyou in advance!

79 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

This was on the GEM website in October

http://www.gem.gov.eg/index/NEWS%203.htm

Looks like 2018, typical Egypt lol

Calgary, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Checkout this official website of Grand Egyptian Museum where may opening date is declared. You may take help from outer source as online touring service providers as citadeltours.

http://www.gem.gov.eg/

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Doubt very much it will open in May. Past it today &, although it was pointed out to us, our guide made no ref to an opening date. The existing one is undergoing 'a lick of paint', here & there, inside, with some empty areas. We spent the afternoon there. Will ask our guide if he has any idea about opening dates for the new one.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

I remember my guidebook I bought in 2008 said it would open in 2009 or so. And a bunch of recent articles on CNN and buzzfeed were referencing a old article that said it would open fall 2015. But I've also seen recent news articles saying the museum needs much more funding for the building process. So its definitely been pushed back by a lot of years.

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

The link I posted is the official website and it says 2018

It has had three opening dates so far 2013 - 2015 -2018, it is Egypt so any time;)

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Thankyou everyone for your help... Looks like a 2018 visit might be in order!! Thankyou!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,921 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Our guides also said 2017/18, when I asked them today.

Sarasota, Florida...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

We got back this week and stayed at hotel right across the street from new museum. Sorry to say it looks like 2 years to finish Locals says maybe more.?? it is HUGE and big undertaking with all political problems not moving along as fast as thought, That being said had wonderful time Felt safe in cairo as well on Nile cruise. It will be amazing when opened

Ulaanbaatar...
Level Contributor
2,255 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

"Egypt Runs Out Of Money To Build New Grand Egyptian Museum"

egyptianstreets.com/2015/…

Australia
Level Contributor
10,157 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?

Thanks for the article Modesto, that price tag seems outrageous though?

Reply to: Grand Egyptian Museum - opening date?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted