We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My 1,000th post :)

Which Cairo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Topic
My 1,000th post :)

Hello everybody,

This is my 1000th post of TripAdvisor. I thought of celebrating it by writing this special post.

First, let me salute those who came up with the idea of TA and those who are maintaining it. They are surely doing a great job.

For the Egypt forum, I must say that I have enjoyed my experience here over the last year so much. Although most of the time, I was on the answering end of questions, I did learn a lot from all your experience and knowledge. I also had the opportunity to know and meet a few special people. From those I mention Ibiris and Karen_in_Egypt. There were other great contributors who made by their contributions the Egypt forums, a place that reflect how great a destination Egypt is. From those I recall King Tut, Barbara, Swisssinai, Maria, Rose, Nefertari and Studioworks. There are others. So, forgive me if I dropped any names. I think we all made a great colorful team that created a special and unique "community" on the Egypt Forums. I hope that we can keep up the spirit and I hope that others would join in and make our spirit shine even brighter.

As I said, I have been so far lucky to meet Karen and Ibiris, but I would definitely be glad to see the rest of you one day. For those who do not live in Cairo, please feel free to drop me a line anytime you are visiting. For those based here, the invitation for a gathering is an open one.

For our visitors, I want to say to you are all that we are always happy to have you with us and that the news that you "had a great time in Egypt" is what keeps us going and what encourages all of us to keep this place growing and flourishing. Therefore, keep the trip reports coming. I really love reading them.

What I saw on this forum taught me that traveling is not only a way to have fun and relax, but it can bridge gaps that politics can do nothing about. The way many of you showed their appreciation and understanding of the Egyptian culture, the tolerance and the support you all showed after the terrorist attacks in April and the feeling of safety you all talk about when you evaluate your Egypt experience all draw another picture that neither the terrorists not the right wing fanatics with their biased media would like to see. The more people who see and realize this real picture through this forum, the more hope I could have in a world that has been lately rather disappointing.

I said before that I do not work in the travel business. My interest in this comes from being a traveler myself. From here, I can always see your questions and concerns with your eyes and from here I am sure you can see what I mean with my eyes. The more you people enjoy your stays in Egypt, the more I would feel safe to travel around the world. So, we ball speak here the same language and this is where you all made a difference. We will keep going and we will encourage more and more people to join.

Cheers to everybody.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: My 1,000th post :)

I cannot find enough words to than you all for your kind comments.

verity1, you were one of those I asked to forgive me if I forget their names. Your comments were always a great support to the Egypt forum and it would be great of course to get in touch when you visit Cairo.

Maria, tonight I should be visiting that pie shop with a few of my friends. We are planning a Ramadan night out in the Islamic Cairo district. I am sure I will remember you there and it goes without saying, your pie is still reserved and waiting for you anytime you choose :)

For the Egyptian Guide, there are three ways to keep track of the important posts you want to save for later reference. First, what our friend Karen told me she used to do, which is to bookmark those posts and have them ready for reference at any time. That is the most professional way if you have time to do this. I use a little less developed way. I depend on the search box by typing phrases or keywords that I can remember from certain posts and then I get the URLs from the search results. People tell me I have a good memory. So, I usually get what I want that way. The last way is by clicking on your user name and looking at list that contains your latest posts. Though, that it doesn't have the older posts.

On the same topic, I do not refer only to "my posts". The last time I referred people to other posts was on tipping last night. If you check the first URL, you wouldn't find me at all on that thread, but I chose that thread because the information there was useful.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: My 1,000th post :)

Congrats Darsh! Your posts (as well as a group of others) have been so helpful, I find myself rarely having to post questions on this forum, just searching the topics.

Many thanks to all who frequent this board- many vacations are enhanced with your advice! :)

newcastle
Level Contributor
47 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: My 1,000th post :)

Hi Darsh,congratulation you are a wonderful member of the VT community always eager to help and advise and give so freely the knowledge of your countries customs,treasures,culture,and people .I myself will be arriving in Egypt for the first time on the 16th October with my two daughters (14 & 27)and i already feel as if i have visited Egypt many times thanks to you and several other on this forum with indepth posts on the many topics any visitor would wish to know about so to that end i salute you and offer my many many thanks for all the help and great advise i have recieved from you and others on this great site take care and i look forward to reading more posts before i leave for my long awaited trip to your wonderful country shukran Marie x

Australia
Destination Expert
for Cairo, Egypt, Nile River Valley, Luxor
Level Contributor
8,445 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: My 1,000th post :)

Wooooo Hoooo Darsh!!!! Congratulations and may I say thankyou for all the help you provide to us on this forum. The regulars on the Egypt forum are always helpful and it is a great place to get advice.

Keep up the good work and I look forward to your 2000th!!

Shukran gazeelan (sp?),

Nefertari

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: My 1,000th post :)

Spelling is perfect Nefertari, spot-on :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: My 1,000th post :)

1000 congratulations Darsh.

It would be nice to celebrate with you in Egypt!! I know I will get good, honest advice from you (and the rest of the ‘team’).It has been a tremendous learning experience and insight into your fascinating history and culture and people. With this understanding, we have had an even more enjoyable holiday in Eygpt.

Cheers to you too!