We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Beirut,Lebanon
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Topic
Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Hello guys,Gals,

I am in cairo for 2 nights.

I am taking my fiancee with me and I am planning to propose to her....during a nice (and fancy) dinner...romantic of course..

any suggestion ??

I have been seeing the "Windows on the world" of Ramses Nile Hotel and

"Revolving restaurant " in Grand Hyaat.

please help...

thank You.

Bab Al Qasr
$$ - $$$, Lebanese, Middle Eastern, Egyptian
The Grill Restaurant & Lounge
$$$$, French, Steakhouse, Mediterranean
Fayruz Lebanese Restaurant
$$$$, Lebanese, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern
UK
Level Contributor
686 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Parpour,

What a romantic place to propose! The location of the Grand Hyatt for dinner is stunning. There are a number of restaurants with spectacular views - including the revolving and lobby restaurants. The hotel also offers a dinner cruise with traditional entertainment. 'Windows on the World' has great views too. Cairo has a wealth of romantic restaurants. Good luck.

Maria

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Kent, UK
Level Contributor
40 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Before my trip, Darsh in this forum ,recommended I looked at www.cairodining.com and www.yallabeena.com. Found both sites easy to use and useful when investigating which restaurants to visit.

The people in Cairo extremely friendly and helpful. I reckon if you contact the restaurant you chose ahead of time and tell them of your plans they will ensure they make the night extra special for you.

Best of luck.

Mentioned in this post
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
363 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Never been to Windows of the World but I can assure that Revolving Restaurant is impressing. The food is delicious, the place very romantic and the view.......... ouaou!

Mentioned in this post
The Revolving Restaurant
The Revolving Restaurant
134 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Beirut,Lebanon
Level Contributor
82 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Any idea how much will this dinner cost approximately ??

I know it will depend on what U order...but so I get an idea...

anyone ?

thanks.

Another question please...

is arriving at 11pm at the dinner is too late ?

coz my plane lands at 9pm and I m in Nile Hilton Hotel.

I guess 2hours should be enough to get out of the airport&shower& go to Hyatt Grand hotel ???

Is that feasible ??

thanks a lot.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

I vote for the Revolving, but as NicholaB suggested, tell the restaurant in advance that you are planning to propose to your fiancé and see what special arrangements they have. There will always be something they can do.

The costs should be somewhere around 250-300 USD for both of you.

As for the time, it is not late if you arrive at 11 pm, but whether you would be able to do that is another issue. It all depends on many variables including the very unstable traffic that could be smooth or bad. I must say, it would be a close call, a very close one. If you have a choice, delay the proposal plans for the following night to stay on the safe side.

Mentioned in this post
The Revolving Restaurant
The Revolving Restaurant
134 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Darsh,

I have been reading a lot of your valuable inputs in this forum!

We have a group of 8 adults - will be in Egypt for a 10 day trip in Mid November.

We follow the typical Classical Egypt itninerary which includes a 3 nights cruise from Aswan to Luxor.

On our last day in Cairo, we will be catching a 3am+ flight home and we are going to skip hotel for that night. To kill time for that evening, we are debating between The Revolving Restaurant and one of the dinner cruise Maxim / Pharaoh. Since we are already on a 3 nights cruise, wonder if it will worth going to a dinner cruise. (consider Maxim is pretty expensive - at least 250LE pp).

Also, will it be easy and safe to get a cab from these places back to the hotel past midnight?

About The Revolving Restaurant, can you go for a drink instead of full dinner?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Aswan
Aswan
Aswan Governorate, Egypt
Luxor
Luxor
Nile River Valley, Egypt
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
The Revolving Restaurant
The Revolving Restaurant
134 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Also read that Grand Hyatt has the newest dinner cruise. Wonder how it compares to Maxim - food/entertainment/ and price wise?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

The revolving restaurant is a fine dining place and by the way it has a dress code (not sure about the tie, but a jacket is a must, look at their web site). It is very popular with couples on very special occasions such as anniversaries. That doesn’t mean they don’t take families or groups, but I am just setting your mind to what you should expect, the very quiet fine dining formal place with the great views. I don’t think they will complaint if you just have a drink, but that is not the norm there. They open their doors as late as 7 pm every day and have a professional French chef, who came all the way from Paris to work on something more serious than some drinks.

A dinner cruise would always include a live entertainment program where belly dancing is the main component. So, it is noisy and alive. Lunch cruises that take place from 2-4 pm come without the entertainment.

There are also many alternatives, restaurants that serve great food, do not have the noisy belly dancing, are less formal, with Nile views and yet they are not a cruise (they don’t move). Try one of the restaurants on one of the following two boats (they are boats but they don’t move, docked to the shore).

http://lepacha.com/

http://www.bluenileboat.com.eg/

I am not saying that any of the above is “better” than the others. They are just different things and it is up to you to decide based on your preference and taste.

Now, if you already had a cruise in upper Egypt and you might feel that another cruise would be just a repetition, I don’t know, this is also related to your personal consideration, but what I can tell you is that there should be a difference, at least in the kind of views. Cairo is a very urban and big city, it has more lights and many bridges over the Nile. So, you get different views. How relevant the “kind of views” variable could be, is up to your judgment.

I haven’t been to Maxim, but I assume in general all top diner cruise boats should be offering more or less the same thing. I know the Grand Hyatt’s one is good, but that doesn’t mean the others are not.

Finally, taxis will be available all day and night. You will never have a problem and you will find that Cairo does not have a “night”, it is jumping and busy 24 hours a day. You will see what I mean when you get there.

Good luck and enjoy your time.

Mentioned in this post
Paris
Paris
Ile-de-France, France
Egypt
Egypt
Africa
Cairo
Cairo
Cairo Governorate, Egypt
USA
Level Contributor
123 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

Thanks Darsh!

I see, we'll be sure to have a dinner if we do go to the Revolving Restaurant. How about Window of the World at Ramses Hilton, is it a dinner only place? And are the view as good as the Revolving restaurant.

Between taking a dinner cruise and a floating restaurant (that don't move) - Will we see a lot more with the dinner cruise scenic wise?

Also, I just found out that attractions have shorter opening time on fridays. We were going to do the egyptian museum, citadel, islamic and coptic cairo tour on friday, and do the optional day trip to Alexandria on Saturday (i.e. our last day for the trip). We keep it at the end since it is an "optional" tour. Should we switch the schedule around?

Thanks again Darsh!

Mentioned in this post
The Revolving Restaurant
The Revolving Restaurant
134 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Ramses Hilton
Ramses Hilton
2,856 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt
Alexandria
Alexandria
Alexandria Governorate, Egypt
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best romantic dinner for 2 in cairo ?

I assume windows of the world would be a dinner place too, haven't been there before so I am not 100% sure, but I heard it is a nice place.

It is on top of the Ramsis Hilton, which is facing the Nile. So, although it is not "revolving", it should still offer a great view.

You will see more views of course on a dinner cruise, but it is a relative thing after all. I mean, no matter what side you take, what view you have, whether it is revolving, floating or cruising, after all it is Cairo's Nile at night and no matter how you approach it, you would still enjoy it. I enjoy a cruise as much as I enjoy a Nile side restaurant or even a stroll on the Kasr El Nil Bridge. The concept of the view in front of me not being "moving" does not take away anything from my joy of watching the Nile. So, again, it all depends on your personal taste and preference. So, I would recommend the cruise if you were after the entertainment and the dancing. Otherwise, focus on the cuisine and the type of restaurant you want and then any Nile view table would do the job. To guarantee a Nile view table, book in advance. If you were just after the view, I think nowhere will match the Revolving.

As for the Friday thing, well, it wouldn't matter at the end of the day because on Fridays, traffic is very smooth 9it is the weekend) so you would hardly get any traffic jams during the day and you could easily get from one side of the city to another in less than 30 minutes, something you would never dream of on the rest of the week. So, what you will lose due to the early closing hours will be compensated with the good traffic.

In general, the sites you mentioned are very big. You can spend a day in each of them. You can also cover them all if you are quick and you just focus on the highlights.

The Islamic Cairo district includes the bazaar and the cafes and not only the mosques. Those are open day and night all week. The main sights there could be Azhar Mosque, Sohaimy House and then a choice of any of the other mosques (El Hakim, Qalawoan, Barqouq etc), if you have time look at Sultan Hasan and Refai mosques next to the citadel, they are worth it. All those sites would close by 5 pm. After that, you will have all the time in the world to explore the bazaar. You should also visit Azhar Park, which is open until 10 pm, if you get the sunset there it would be nice, at night it is as fascinating as in the day.

Mentioned in this post
Islamic Cairo
Islamic Cairo
694 Reviews
Cairo, Egypt